mutual benefits

windyvalley

Chinese
Hi,

Please kindly help check if these two sentence are correct.

1)They keep a relationship with mutual benefits.

2)They keep a mutual beneficial relationship.

Thanks in advance!

Windy

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi,

Please kindly help check if these two sentence are correct.

1)They keep a relationship with mutual benefits.

2)They keep a mutual beneficial relationship.

Thanks in advance!

Windy
    Windy, we're going to need some context. Who is keeping such a relationship and what are the "mutual benefits"? Is this an allusion to the trendy phrase "friends with benefits" meaning friends that sleep together but don't want a romantic relationship?

Even without context, however, I will tell you that "keep" seems wrong to me and "mutual beneficial" is incorrect.

windyvalley

Chinese
    Hi Dimcl,

I tried to say two countries have a relationship of doing good to each other.

I am curious about that " keep" is the wrong word used here, for I had many search results on web about " keep a relationship".

Hope this is clear, and pending your futher comments.

Thanks for your patience!

Windy:)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi Dimcl,

I tried to say two countries have a relationship of doing good to each other.

I am curious about that " keep" is the wrong word used here, for I had many search results on web about " keep a relationship".

Hope this is clear, and pending your futher comments.

Thanks for your patience!

Windy:)
    You may be misinterpreting those internet references, WV. "Keep" would be the correct word is you amplify on the sentence ie: "Keep a relationship strong", "Keep a relationship vibrant", "Keep a relationship alive", etc. I think that a far more appropriate word in your sentence and context would be "maintain". You could say:

"They maintain a relationship with mutual benefits" and
    "They maintain a mutually beneficial relationship"

dwm

USA - English
    Not sure what the dictionary says, but I actually think that "keep a relationship" doesn't sound THAT weird and could be used, especially in the context of two countries. But of course, as others have mentioned, "have a relationship" is better.

< Previous | Next >