mutually exclusive

saffron17

Mandarin
Hi, my second question also has to do with Mindful Running.

Here is the paragraph and the context.

While some may suggest that she is spreading herself too thin,Pappas insists that the passionate pursuit of multiple paths helps her achieve greater balance. All are mutually exclusive — her running profits from her creative endeavors and vice versa. Her key to juggling it all? She points to mindfulness, explaining that
she doesn ’ t waste time getting caught up in the past or future or the push and pull of thoughts, emotions, and expectations.

I'm not sure how two "mutually exclusive" activities can benefit each other?
My understanding for "mutually exclusive" here is simply "different," but I'm not sure if that suffices.
Can anyone help clarify the logic in this sentence?
Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It appears to me that the writer has chosen the wrong term, and what they really meant is "interrelated", or something like it. I cannot account for why two so very different terms should be confused like this, but neither is a common expression and I suppose it is possible that the writer has not encountered "mutually exclusive" much before and doesn't understand the meaning of it, being misled by the word "mutually".

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It seems unlikely that a writer who is not only a native speaker but has actually studied English, would not know what "mutually exclusive" means. Perhaps the idea is that the activities are mutually exclusive in the sense that they cannot be carried out simultaneously, only separately, and that they benefit each other in spite of this.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >