Mutually suspicoius, even vs Even mutually suspicious

AntiScam

Arabic
Hello,

To me, even, at the end, works only because it is used in a phrase, not a full sentence. This use sounds like spoken English but I could be wrong. I moved it to the beginning in sentence 2; it does not sound great, but
A- is it still Okay or off?
B- Is this form acceptable in relatively formal written English, for example, academic English?

1- Writers and editors work together all the time, but the two clans are somewhat mysterious to one another. Mutually suspicious, even.
Are You an Editor or a Writer? Part II: The Editors

2- Writers and editors work together all the time, but the two clans are somewhat mysterious to one another. Even[,] mutually suspicious.

Now after a short interruption and reading the rewrite again it does not sound bad. I conclude I am lost now!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree with your first comments. It is clear in spoken English. Following the sentence before it (about two clans), "Mutually suspicious, even." is one way to say "They are even mutually suspicious." I might use that longer sentence in writing. But I am not sure that the original isn't okay in writing.

I don't think your re-write is acceptable. You are trying to create a parallel phrase, with "mysterious" in one phrase and "suspicious" in the other. That only works if the grammar matches.

But you can't say "suspicious to each other". The correct phrases are "suspicious of each other" and "mutually suspicious". Since the first clause has a "to each other" in it, it would be hard to come up with any parallel phrasing that works.

< Previous | Next >