Muzzle curled in a smile

Hi fellow foreros!
Could you please help me construct a sentence I have some difficulties with?

His muzzle curled in a smile. (??)

In this sentence I am describing an anthropomorphic animal character (his physical features are those of animal, but his behaviour and stance are human-like).

The sentence will most likely sound a bit weird precisely because of his mix of animal features and human behaviour, but that's precisely the message it wants to convey.

What I could use some help with is the verb choice. Can I use the verb "to curl" in this context? Is there any other verb (more appropriate perhaps) I could use to describe the way, despite not having lips but an animal muzzle, this character smiles? :confused:

Thanks in advance! It's for a short story I'm writing. :)

• GretchenPlay

New Zealand, NZE
    I think curl is a good verb here, but maybe instead of saying muzzle, as it also includes the nose, you could just say mouth.

his mouth curled into a smile.

Perhaps the creature is maliciously smiling?
    You could say: His mouth twisted into a (grotesque) smile.

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Hi fellow foreros!
    Could you please help me construct a sentence I have some difficulties with?

His muzzle curled in a smile. (??)

In this sentence I am describing an anthropomorphic animal character (his physical features are those of animal, but his behaviour and stance are human-like).

The sentence will most likely sound a bit weird precisely because of his mix of animal features and human behaviour, but that's precisely the message it wants to convey.

What I could use some help with is the verb choice. Can I use the verb "to curl" in this context? Is there any other verb (more appropriate perhaps) I could use to describe the way, despite not having lips but an animal muzzle, this character smiles? :confused:

Thanks in advance! It's for a short story I'm writing. :)
    Given that you are describing some character that has a blend of human and animal features, I think your use of "muzzle" is fine. "Curled in a smile" also sounds good to me.

< Previous | Next >