Muzzle velocity of a weapon

NicoCCDMD

English
Hello again,
I need to verify the subtleties of the French I am correcting in the following sentence. The issue is the translation of "muzzle velocity" in Physics. I have found different takes on this: bouche/gueule de l'arme. I even found a translation that suggests that "muzzle velocity" translates directly as "vitesse initiale", which seems to omit the weapon completely. Your ideas are more than welcome:

Source: This type of bullet has a weight of 14.58 g and its muzzle velocity is 374 m/s.

Translation in progress: La masse de la balle est de 14,58 g et la vitesse initiale de la balle à la bouche de l'arme est de 374 m/s.

• Fred_C

Français
    Hello again,
    I need to verify the subtleties of the French I am correcting in the following sentence. The issue is the translation of "muzzle velocity" in Physics. I have found different takes on this: bouche/gueule de l'arme. I even found a translation that suggests that "muzzle velocity" translates directly as "vitesse initiale", which seems to omit the weapon completely. Your ideas are more than welcome:

Source: This type of bullet has a weight of 14.58 g and its muzzle velocity is 374 m/s.

Translation in progress: La masse de la balle est de 14,58 g et la vitesse initiale de la balle à la bouche de l'arme est de 374 m/s.
    Bonjour,
    Je préfère : "vitesse à l'embouchure du canon".

NicoCCDMD

English
    J'aime beaucoup cette traduction. Maintenant, quelqu'un me suggère : Vitesse d'expulsion. Qu'en pensez-vous?

NicoCCDMD

English
    Google semble reconnaitre les deux: vitesse d'éjection de gaz, vitesse d'expulsion de gaz.

Merci bien Jean!

< Previous | Next >