my acquaintance suspected

< Previous | Next >

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:
Is this sentence gramatically right? Can you tell me its meaning?
From these words I imagined that my acquaintance suspected in me something which,although it wasn’t there,made me nevertheless rise in his estimation by his suspecting it.
Best wishes.

• hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    But, I have no idea of its meaning:(
    =From these words, I imagined that my acquaintance suspected me of something which,although wasn’t there,made me nevertheless rise in his estimation by his suspecting it. ?

Joelline

American English
    Yes, it is absolutely correct, albeit slightly stilted and, perhaps, a bit dated.

From these words I imagined that my acquaintance suspected in me something which,although it wasn’t there,made me nevertheless rise in his estimation by his suspecting it.
    It means that the person that I was with (my acquaintance) said something that suggested to me that he had read into a remark I had previously made, and that whatever he had imagined I had said made him respect me more (even though I hadn't, in fact, intended to say what he thought I had said).

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Thanks,
    =From these words, I imagined (that my acquaintance suspected in me something( which,although it wasn’t there,made me nevertheless rise in his estimation by his suspecting it. )), right?:) Is "suspected in me" correct? I remember it is "suspect someone of something"

Can you give me an example?;-)

Joelline

American English
    Yes, your paraphrase is correct. You are also correct that, generally, "one suspects someone of something." As I pointed out above, however, the language used here is slight stilted and the use of "suspect in" is one sign of that. In this usage, "suspect" is a synonym for "surmise" or "infer" or "imagine." Most people, today, would use one of these three words rather than "suspect."

< Previous | Next >