my bee stings flare up again.

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
I give Rue some matches and she makes sure I have plenty of leaves in case my bee stings flare up again.

Source: The Hunger Game

Can I associate "flare up again" with any illness to mean it comes back again, like my sore throat/running nose/stomachache flares up again Thanks

Last edited:
  • I would not associate 'flaring up' with sore throat/running nose or stomach.

It would be used in reference to a rash, sting, sun burn. Most skin diseases.

I'm sure that someone will clarify this more clearly.

NazzaG

sendintheclowns

Norwegian
    In light of the heat reference t would seem most logical to use it for any kind of inflammation, anything involving a battle between a disease and the immune system, perhaps. Indeed, most rashes, allergies etc. would come in this category ("My allergies flare up every spring").

It seems to be most often used for a chronic condition, where the underlying disease will be quiescent most of the time, but which will then flare up from time to time ("My gout flared up").

On the surface of it, it seems odd to use it for bee stings, but I guess they can cause an inflammation, which can then flare up from time to time, while the body is fighting the poison.

But it would not seem right to use it for a stomach ache or a cold, which is a new condition every time. (Unless, perhaps, you have stomach aches because of an underlying chronic disease.)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    In light of the heat reference t would seem most logical to use it for any kind of inflammation, anything involving a battle between a disease and the immune system, perhaps. Indeed, most rashes, allergies etc. would come in this category ("My allergies flare up every spring").

It seems to be most often used for a chronic condition, where the underlying disease will be quiescent most of the time, but which will then flare up from time to time ("My gout flared up").

On the surface of it, it seems odd to use it for bee stings, but I guess they can cause an inflammation, which can then flare up from time to time, while the body is fighting the poison.

But it would not seem right to use it for a stomach ache or a cold, which is a new condition every time. (Unless, perhaps, you have stomach aches because of an underlying chronic disease.)
    :)
    That's exactly what I was thinking! Inflammation does not necessarily mean obvious inflammation with visible redness and swelling. Any sort of immune system activity results in internal "inflammation", whether it be a cold or a chronic autoimmune inflammatory disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, or lupus, or many other sorts of chronic conditions.
    I am not convinced about 'flare up' being suitable for insect stings or 'bites'. It was true that malaria would flare up from time to time. But this is not a medical text and I think using 'flare up' again is fine in this context. An alternative way of expressing the idea would be' in case the insect bites give me trouble again'

Hermione

Myridon

English - US
    Having read The Hunger Games, I can provide the context that these bees were genetically engineered to deliver a very strong poison that created large sores in the people who weren't killed immediately (and it was also a powerful hallucinogen). I think "flare up" is entirely appropriate.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Having read The Hunger Games, I can provide the context that these bees were genetically engineered to deliver a very strong poison that created large sores in the people who weren't killed immediately (and it was also a powerful hallucinogen). I think "flare up" is entirely appropriate.
    In this case, so do I! But the question was about more general use.

:)

Hermione

< Previous | Next >