My best wishes are always with you.

sagar grammar

Namaste,
Dear members.

I thought the given sentence would be correct, could you tell me what the improvement is? Because the book says it is wrong with no explanation.

1- My best wishes are always with you.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Please, please give us more background!
    What book and what was the exercise? Are there options?
    The OP sentence doesn't sound 'wrong' to me.:confused: It depends on the context. It would be very wrong as the closing of a letter, instead of 'Best Wishes'.

I'm writing a letter of condolence on a death at the moment. I will use the sentence in that. I will probably never see the family again.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I must admit I wouldn't personally use that, although I'd be interested to know why the book classes it as actually being wrong.

I wonder if "May my best wishes always be with you" could be seen as a better way of expressing the sentiment, although it's a bit flowery for my taste.

Himanshu Sindhi

Hindi
    [This post and the following ones have been added to a previous thread in which the same question had been asked. DonnyB - moderator]
    This question was asked in an exam in India as...

In the following questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is the answer. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (4) i.e. No error.

My best wishes are always with you.

As per the official answer key, the error is in "part 1" but I don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The cliche I would prefer to use is "My thoughts are always with you". I keep my best wishes for a special occasion, as in Best wishes for your birthday next month/Best wishes for a speedy recovery, etc.

But I don't know whether the person who set the question was looking for the most common collocation or simply a correct sentence.:confused:

< Previous | Next >