My brother and I sometimes trash-talk

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

I want to express the idea that my brother and I like two different football teams. Sometimes we say unpleasant things to each other to boast about our favorite team.

Does this work?:

My brother and I watch football all the time and sometimes we trash-talk

I checked the dictionary and it says trash-talking is done by players during a competition when they are playing in opposing teams.

Can people trash-talk when they are watching the game?

If trash-talk is not correct, what is a verb I can use?

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I've never come across it anywhere, but according to Oxford Dictionaries it's an informal AE term, and they've got assorted example sentences showing it being used in all sorts of non-sporting contexts. :)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    [Side comment removed. DonnyB moderator]
    We certainly do have a slang term for insulting others and each other, but you asked about 'trash talk' and any expression with 'trash' in it is likely to be American. Sometimes the American term is useful and we adopt it. Maybe younger people already use 'trash-talk'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xyz123456

English - United Kingdom
    Trash talking is an Americanism but it's used in certain games/sports a lot. In Britain it's not common at all apart from in certain arenas- In poker it's very common as a verb- "What kind of idiot would bet with an Ace and a Five?" is typical trash talk. Computer gamers under 30 or so would all know the term in any English-speaking country.

supermarioutd

Persian
    To British folks:

Imagine you are a die hard fan of Liverpool. Your brother is a die hard fan of Man-UTD.

You constantly say denigrating stuff about Man-utd to your brother and he does the same about Liverpool.
    And you say my team is the champion and he says his team is the best.

So is there a verb you can use in this situation?

Xyz123456

English - United Kingdom
    To British folks:

Imagine you are a die hard fan of Liverpool. Your brother is a die hard fan of Man-UTD.

You constantly say denigrating stuff about Man-utd to your brother and he does the same about Liverpool.
    And you say my team is the champion and he says his team is the best.

So is there a verb you can use in this situation?
    We would just say "My brother and I wind each other up about our teams".

To "wind someone up" means to deliberately annoy them, usually for personal amusement. The image is that of winding up a spring until it's so tense it explodes.

"Are you winding me up?!" is an extremely common phrase for "Are you mocking me?" Or "Are you deliberately trying to make me angry?"

And a "wind-up" is a noun meaning "a prank".

Be aware that Wind and Winding in this context are pronounced differently to wind as in weather. Here it's pronounced the same as find and finding.

supermarioutd

Persian
    We would just say "My brother and I wind each other up about our teams".

To "wind someone up" means to deliberately annoy them, usually for personal amusement. The image is that of winding up a spring until it's so tense it explodes.

"Are you winding me up?!" is an extremely common phrase for "Are you mocking me?" Or "Are you deliberately trying to make me angry?"

And a "wind-up" is a noun meaning "a prank".

Be aware that Wind and Winding in this context are pronounced differently to wind as in weather. Here it's pronounced the same as find and finding.
    So you don't have a term specific to sport?

I am a little bit surprised!

suzi br

English / England
    Banter, probably. All sorts of insults and jokes are covered by this verb/noun.
    I already answered the question about what we say in the UK at #5 and there you are asking it again at #10

It’s a bit irritating if you don’t take care to read your thread properly.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'Slag-off' comes to my mind.
    "My brother and I constantly slag each other off about the teams we support."
    It's not specifically about sports though.
    I see from the Wiki article that 'trash talk' isn't new at all. I suppose it depends whether you are interested in sports or in gaming.

Last edited:

supermarioutd

Persian
    I already answered the question about what we say in the UK at #5 and there you are asking it again at #10

It’s a bit irritating if you don’t take care to read your thread properly.
    I read the posts very very carefully and I already knew banter.

Banter is not specific to sports. But trash-talk is!

supermarioutd

Persian
    "Trash-talk"? Yes, it's very common.
    Sorry I keep asking questions. Can you also trash-talk on the phone? For example I was texting my friend before the game saying his favorite team would lose.

Can I say "I was trash-talking with my friend on the phone"?

Pardon? You mean the sentence doesn't work?
    You said, I want to express the idea that my brother and I like two different football teams. Sometimes we say unpleasant things to each other to boast about our favorite team.

IF we assume that setting, then the sentence likely means a friendly ''conflict" in trashtalk.

I was merely pointing out that the sentence on its own, doesn't really specify. I'm fine, in another setting, with

At recess, the students get together and trashtalk (their least favorite teacher).

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    For me, "trash-talk" is directed at the person. If it's not, I would use "talk trash about X" or "badmouth X."

User With No Name

English (U.S.)
    For me, "trash-talk" is directed at the person. If it's not, I would use "talk trash about X" or "badmouth X."
    :thumbsup:
    Exactly. And to me, it also implies that the insults have an element of verbal jousting and aren't necessarily meant to be taken entirely seriously.

owlman5

English-US
    For what they are worth, Mario, "to talk shit" and "to talk shit about someone" are two similar phrases that people sometimes use when the situation is appropriate for the use of vulgar language.

By itself, "to talk shit" means to say things that aren't worth considering/things that are foolish or false.

"To talk shit about someone" means to say nasty, possibly false things about someone.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >