my dad wasn’t bursting with personality

Julie4luck

Korean
Hi,

What's the meaning of 'bursting with personality' in the context? be impatient? or be enthusiastic, or be characterful(=unique)?

<It’s fair to say that my dad wasn’t bursting with personality>

Thank you.

• Julie4luck

Korean
    It means having character that strikes people, perhaps in some specific ways (e.g as a comedian, joker). Her dad did NOT have this; his personality was bland, quiet, unremarkable in any way.
    I understood that it's fair to say that my dad's personality was normal. thanks a lot.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    <It’s fair to say that my dad wasn’t bursting with personality>
    It depends on the individual speaker, but that looks to me like a kind way of admitting that "My dad was rather boring". Of course, that doesn't mean that he was not a fine person and a good dad.

Do you have any special context, Julie?

Nickle Sydney

I disagree. It wasn't "normal". His personality was bland. "Bland" is something "tasteless". Think of "tofu". Is tofu tasty on its own? It's tasteless unless you add something.

Julie4luck

Korean
    It depends on the individual speaker, but that looks to me like a kind way of admitting that "My dad was rather boring". Of course, that doesn't mean that he was not a fine person and a good dad.

Do you have any special context, Julie?
    Thanks. I added it.
    <It’s fair to say that my dad wasn’t bursting with personality. He was a giant at six foot seven, not unlike myself, but a decidedly gentle one: affable, down-to-earth, impeccably polite, and always caring, but like many men of his generation, emotionally restrained>

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The most telling phrase is "emotionally restrained". He was reserved, not an extravert at all. Some would see that as a lack of personality.

< Previous | Next >