My daughter, my love, my life

Tattoodan

English
Good afternoon,

You lovely people helped me before for my last tattoo and I am hoping you can help again.

I am looking to have another tattoo and this time i am looking for the written Arabic translation for -

Evie
My Daughter
My Love
My Life

Many thanks in advance.

• djara

Tunisia Arabic
    Please note that MSA Arabic doesn't have a letter for the sound "V"; nor does it have an exact equivalent for the vowel "E" as in Evie. In the following, the transliteration of Evie's name would sound like "eefee". That being said, here is a translation of your text:
    Version 1 (fully voweled, for beginners)
    إِيفِي
    ابْنَتِي
    حُبِّي
    حَيَاتِي

Version 2 (no vowels, more usual):
    إيفي
    ابنتي
    حبي
    حياتي

Tattoodan

English
    Thank you, so if it were tattooed on someone and some who could read/speak Arabic were to read it which one would make more sense?

AndyRoo

English
    ^I think it looks better as version 2, without vowels, but it is a personal choice.

Instead of حبي for "my love" you might consider حبيبتي, which means "my love" or "my beloved" (feminine).

Tattoodan

English
    Thanks all.

With relation to the name isnt the first few characters "my"?

I dont want it to say "My Evie" just "Evie". Would this change that?

Thanks

AndyRoo

English
    It just says Evie, not my Evie. The letter ي which you are seeing means "my" and the sound "ie" of Evie, coincidentally. Don't forget Arabic is written right to left so this is the end of the word, not the beginning.

Schem

Najdi Arabic
    There is no reason to render the name as Iifi when it could easily be transliterated as Iivi with a three-dotted ف. Rendering it as إِيڤِي would be more accurate and perfectly acceptable since using ڤ in borrowings/transliterations has a long history in the mashriq (where the majority of Arabic-speakers reside).

Tattoodan

English
    Thanks. What would "my world" be instead of "my life"?

Could someone write it one under the other including Schem's way of writing Evie?

Evie
    My Daughter
    My Love
    My World

Thanks

< Previous | Next >