My dearest (Surname) family or My dearest family (surname)

guzmanaranda

Español
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading this post and help me.

I'm a little bit confused. Im not sure if I should write
My dearest (Surname) family or My dearest family (surname) to start a letter and to write the envelope

Thank you very much for your help

Warm regards

Judith

• Barque

Tamil
    Both are unusual, guzmanaranda. Do you mean you are writing to the entire family and not to a single person?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I'm not sure if I should write
    My dearest (Surname) family or My dearest family (surname) to start a letter
    You should not.
    and to write the envelope
    You should not.
    Letters are addressed to "Mr & Mrs [J/John] Smith [and family,]"
    Letters like this should start "Dear John and Mary, " if you know them well. Otherwise, it is "Dear Mr & Mrs Smith,"

guzmanaranda

Español
    You should not. You should not.
    Letters are addressed to "Mr & Mrs [J/John] Smith [and family,]"
    Letters like this should start "Dear John and Mary, " if you know them well. Otherwise, it is "Dear Mr & Mrs Smith,"
    Thank you for your help. I know them well and I'm very close to them. The family is quite big so I don't want to write every single name. But for me Dear Mr & Mrs Smith sound a little bit distant. Is it my impression because my first
    Enguage is spanish?

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it XX

Barque

Tamil
    You don't need everyone's name on the envelope, just the name(s) of the senior-most family member(s). Titles like Mr or Ms or Dr are usually written on envelopes but you could also just write plain "first name/initials-last name" if you prefer. I suppose you could also address it to The [surname] family.

In the letter itself, you could use everyone's name, if there aren't too many, or alternatively, something like Dear John, Mary and children (if they are actually children, perhaps not if the children are adults, unless you are much older than them).

Last edited:

guzmanaranda

Español
    You don't need everyone's name on the envelope, just the name(s) of the senior-most family member(s). Titles like Mr or Ms or Dr are usually written on envelopes but you could also just write plain "first name/initials-last name" if you prefer. I suppose you could also address it to The [surname] family.

In the letter itself, you could use everyone's name, if there aren't too many, or alternatively, something like Dear John, Mary and children (if they are actually children, perhaps not if the children are adults, unless you are much older than them).
    Great, thank you very much for your help

Best regards

Judith

JustKate

Thank you for your help. I know them well and I'm very close to them. The family is quite big so I don't want to write every single name. But for me Dear Mr & Mrs Smith sound a little bit distant. Is it my impression because my first
    Enguage is spanish?

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it XX
    Writing to one or two members to represent the whole family is fine. You could always say somewhere in the letter something like "Please say hello" (or whatever it is that you want to say) "to the whole family for me."

The "...and children" that Barque suggested doesn't sound natural to me. We do sometimes say "...and family," though, e.g., "Dear John, Mary and family."

Another option, if you don't need to be too formal, is something like this:
    "To the entire Smith family"
    or
    "To the entire Smith clan."

("Clan" isn't used much in AmE, but we actually do use it in situations in which we want to refer to the entire family and want to sound informal.)

< Previous | Next >