my-eye-Betty-Martin sob-stuff

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover( para.122) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):
"Oh damn it all! If a fellow’s going to trade on his disabilities, I might begin to say how lonely I am, and always have been, and all the rest of the my-eye-Betty-Martin sob-stuff! Damn it all, if a fellow’s got nothing but disabilities to recommend him ... "

What is "my-eye-Betty-Martin sob-stuff" please?

Thank you in advance

• Engeland

English - UK
    All my eye (or all my eye and Betty Martin) means nonsense, silly, false information. Sob stuff mocks overly emotional stories (for example, Bridget Jones is referred to as 'sob stuff')

So in this context, it means:

"Oh damn it all! If a fellow’s going to trade on his disabilities, I might begin to say how lonely I am, and always have been, and all the rest of all that romantic nonsense! Damn it all, if a fellow’s got nothing but disabilities to recommend him ... "

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    From the excellent Michael Quinion's World Wide Words: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-all3.htm
    The phrase or saying, all my eye and Betty Martin means that something is total and complete nonsense.
    (It is worth following the link for the origins of the saying. :thumbsup:)

sob-stuff -> words, phrases and sentences designed to elicit deep sympathy in the reader/listener.

london calling

UK English
    For the origin of the expression 'All my eye and Betty Martin' (which means absolute nonsense/rubbish) see here (source: worldwidewords.org.). Sob-stuff means things (e.g. stories) that make you cry. So, my-eye-Betty Martin sob-stuff is what we would call sob stories today.

< Previous | Next >