My father likes to go sailing?

  • Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    A mi padre le gusta practicar el sailing.
    A mi padre le gusta ir al sailing.

    Sailing is a borrowed word.

    Bien
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Nope. :) Sometimes it's as simple as recognizing the English influence on the sport. Like "el windsurf".... :) There may be a specific term in Spanish, but in most regions, they are outdated, and the new English term is more recognized. I'm surprised your textbook didn't mention this...most ones (entry level Spanish) made after 1995 include "English"-Spanish sports.

    Bien
     

    COLsass

    Senior Member
    I've heard, practicar la vela, though honestly it might be a regional thing--I haven't heard anyone mention sailing in Argentina but I'm guessing they do say sailing here since they loved borrowed words for sports. In Spain I remember "practicar la vela" though.
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    COLsass said:
    I've heard, practicar la vela, though honestly it might be a regional thing--I haven't heard anyone mention sailing in Argentina but I'm guessing they do say sailing here since they loved borrowed words for sports. In Spain I remember "practicar la vela" though.
    I agree with COLsass that practicar la vela may work. There's a lot of borrowed ones:

    practicar el windsurf
    practicar el surfing
    practicar el hockey


    And of course the remaining Spanish sports terms are extreme cognates (béisbol, tenis).

    Bien
     

    crises

    Senior Member
    BCN
    EU Spanish/Catalan
    Bienvenidos said:
    Sailing is a borrowed word.
    ¿Desde cuándo "sailing" es un préstamo? La RAE no lo acepta puesto que ya existe un verbo para esa acción: "navegar". Se suele utilizar la locución "salir a navegar".

    EDIT:

    "Vela" sería si la embarcación fuese un "velero". Tan simple como eso. "Vela" también da nombre al deporte en el que se compite con ese tipo de embarcaciones.
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    crises said:
    ¿Desde cuándo "sailing" es un préstamo? La RAE no lo acepta puesto que ya existe un verbo para esa acción: "navegar". Se suele utilizar la locución "salir a navegar".
    Of course it's probably not correct by the RAE's standards, but in modern day language it comes up sometimes, when people, as I always say, throw an el in front of the English word and call it Spanish. Again, the same applies for el surfing, el windsurf, el hockey, and all the others. I'm not sure if the RAE acknowledges those, however.

    Bien
     

    crises

    Senior Member
    BCN
    EU Spanish/Catalan
    Bienvenidos said:
    Of course it's probably not correct by the RAE's standards, but in modern day language it comes up sometimes, when people, as I always say, throw an el in front of the English word and call it Spanish. Again, the same applies for el surfing, el windsurf, el hockey, and all the others. I'm not sure if the RAE acknowledges those, however.
    "(to) sail"="navegar"

    Más claro, agua. "El sailing" no tiene sentido porque "sailing" no es nada más que "navegar", es decir, "Viajar en un buque o en otra embarcación, generalmente por mar" (DRAE, 1). No es un deporte: es una acción. Del mismo modo que "driving" es "conducir" o "conducción": no es un deporte, es una acción.
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    crises said:
    "(to) sail"="navegar"

    Más claro, agua. "El sailing" no tiene sentido porque "sailing" no es nada más que "navegar", es decir, "Viajar en un buque o en otra embarcación, generalmente por mar" (DRAE, 1). No es un deporte: es una acción. Del mismo modo que "driving" es "conducir" o "conducción": no es un deporte, es una acción.
    Gracias por la aclaración. :)

    Bien
     

    crises

    Senior Member
    BCN
    EU Spanish/Catalan
    Bienvenidos said:
    Gracias por la aclaración. :)
    Un placer ;)

    Sobre "surfing" la RAE acepta "surf" como préstamo (para el deporte y el baile), igual que son "windsurfing" que acepta "windsurf" como préstamo. Se procura adoptar el infinitivo inglés en lugar del gerundio. ^_^
     

    COLsass

    Senior Member
    crises said:
    ¿Desde cuándo "sailing" es un préstamo? La RAE no lo acepta puesto que ya existe un verbo para esa acción: "navegar". Se suele utilizar la locución "salir a navegar".

    EDIT:

    "Vela" sería si la embarcación fuese un "velero". Tan simple como eso. "Vela" también da nombre al deporte en el que se compite con ese tipo de embarcaciones.
    en ingles cuando se habla de "sailing" en esta forma siempre nos referimos a un velero. en realidad "sail" se usa para el acto de navegar un barco con poca frequencia.

    to set sail: no importa la clase de barco, zarpas.

    he sailed from rhode island to north carolina. navego en velero, no seria adecuado decir que he sailed a motorboat/canoe/etc. es muy raro.
     

    scarface3412

    New Member
    English, U.S.
    Lo siento, pero hablo un poco espanol. Bienvenidos, could you translate what has been said? Thank you very much.
     

    crises

    Senior Member
    BCN
    EU Spanish/Catalan
    En ese caso, puede seguir siendo válido "navegar" dentro de un determinado contexto (se sabe que su padre tiene un barco de vela) o, si se prefiere especificar, puede hablarse de "la vela" (aunque implicaría el concepto deportivo, que no sé si es el caso).
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    scarface3412 said:
    Lo siento, pero hablo un poco espanol. Bienvenidos, could you translate what has been said? Thank you very much.
    Hey! Here's basically what's been said:

    I posted practicar el sailing, and crises asked since when this has been an acceptable term to use (sailing). He then informed me that the Real Academia Española (The academy that regulates the Spanish language) does not approve this use of "sailing" as officially Spanish. COLsass and I agreed that this term is used in some nations, where English has a larger influence on the population. Crises also noted that sailing is seen as an action, and not a sport, therefore the Spanish term must be preserved (navegar). Thus, you can use "navegar", or "practicar la vela". You may hear "practicar el sailing", but it's very colloquial, and some see it as incorrect. If you're just learning Spanish, I'd stick with "practicar la vela" if you're talking about the sport.

    Bien
     

    Pk2_x

    Member
    ESPAÑOL
    Yo digo: "A mi padre le gusta mucho navegar", y con eso el resto de la gente ya lo entiende, pero eso serían en plan ocio. Y eso creo que es lo que me das a entender, salir a navegar en plan "hobbie"
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Pk2_x said:
    Yo digo: "A mi padre le gusta mucho navegar", y con eso el resto de la gente ya lo entiende, pero eso serían en plan ocio. Y eso creo que es lo que me das a entender, salir a navegar en plan "hobbie"
    Traducción al inglés:

    To summarize what the forero has said....

    The term (to sail, navegar) refers to a plain leisure activity, and to go sailing is a hobby (pasatiempo) .

    :)


    Bien
     

    Txiri

    Senior Member
    USA English
    As an amateur sailor, also knowing how sailors feel about motorboats and sea-doos, etc, I would preferentially understand the phrase as "practicar la vela" or "navegar en barco de vela."

    I do recognize though that other kinds of boats can be said to sail. "The Queen Elizabath II sailed to New York in 12 days." Obviously this vessel isn´t relying on "sail" power.
     

    cirrus

    Senior Member
    UK English
    As a sailing instructor I share Txiri's misgivings about motor sailing (cue hefty spit and a couple of grimaces).

    In Spain and elsewhere the sport is generally referred to as vela. If it's dinghies we're talking about, then vela ligera is the technical term you're looking for, otherwise plain vela will be understood from Texas to Tierra del Fuego and from Asturias to Andalucia.
     

    Txiri

    Senior Member
    USA English
    You know ... I don´t think we would call it "motor sailing" over here. They use motor boating, outboard motor boating, ... They´re usually rude to other boaters, and don´t usually observe the "rules of the road".

    Cirrus, do you have any idea where I might find an English-Spanish glossary of sailing terms?
     

    cirrus

    Senior Member
    UK English
    Give me till tomorrow (my operating system is playing up) and I will post you a couple of places. I took part in geeing up one and can think of several which would be a good place to go.

    Watch this space!
     

    Txiri

    Senior Member
    USA English
    Thank you. I appreciate it. (By the way, sailing terms in English are like another language, is it the same in Spanish?=
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top