My favourite type of movies is/are comedy/comedies?

sandypas76

Italy - Italian
Hello,

first of all I hope ot os of to place this thread under "type".

I would like to understand which sentence(s) is/are correct:

a) My favourite type of movies is comedy
b) My favourite type of movies is comedies
c) My favourite type of movies are comedies?
d) My favourite type of movies are comedy?

In my opinion, because "type" is the gramatical subject and since this is singular, I would use the singular verb "is". However, native speakers seem to prefer the plural verb "are" (they don't make a gramatical agreement but a logical one - favourite movies are)

In my language, we would say a), but I often seen that some rule do not match (e.g. We say "the majority of people is" but I think in English it is required to say "the majority of people are" -??).

Look forward to hearing your opinions/responses/analysis.

Sandra

• boreen

English - US
    You would definitely use the form "is" (because it agrees with type which is singular), but I think I would say "My favorite type of movie is comedy." I would put everything in the singular.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You could always try British English: b) My favourite type of film is comedies :tick:

sandypas76

Italy - Italian
    Thanks.
    I thought about changing moves into movie, but I deliberately left it plural to create a contrast between singular subject and plural determiner. With everything singular there would be no ambiguity.
    By the way, I go for "favourite" :) I adhere to the BrE spelling rules, hope you don't mind it!
    Sandra

< Previous | Next >