my fellow citizens

< Previous | Next >

Douglas

USA ENGLISH
Hi there friends,

Please excuse my having sort of repeated the same question. "I asked my fellow citizens. . ." Can this be translated as: "J'ai demande à mes compagnons les citoyens"? What I am trying to get is both compangnons et citoyens are nouns. When I use compagnons in the sense of an adjective is citoyens used with a definite article (les)? Or is this all wrong?

Regards,

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
  • anangelaway

French
    Douglas said:
    Hi there friends,

Please excuse my having sort of repeating the same question. "I asked my fellow citizens. . ." Can this be translated as: "J'ai demande à mes compagnons les citoyens"? What I am trying to get is both compangnons et citoyens are nouns. When I use compagnons in the sense of an adjective is citoyens used with a definite article (les)? Or is this all wrong?

Regards,

Doug
    Hi Doug!

There are both nouns. I think 'compatriotes français' was suggested, you don't like it? To me, 'citoyens' is a little too formal as for meaning 'fellow citizens', but that's only my opinion. Would you be using 'my fellow citizens' in a very formal letter or not? Then, why not, mes chers citoyens?
    or Trés chers citoyens...

Edit: oops, didn't really see the change. Is you start by ' J'ai demandé... ', I would say, 'J'ai demandé à mes chers citoyens/compatriotes...'

Edit: How about simply 'concitoyens' as it is suggested in the WR dico?

Starcreator

Canada, English
    You need an adjective to describe citizens, but I don't think there's an equivalent for "fellow", so...

J'ai démandé à mes citoyens de camadare...
    J'ai démandé à mes compatriots...

ultralingua.net gives compatriots and concitoyens for "fellow citizens".

timpeac

English (England)
    Starcreator said:
    You need an adjective to describe citizens, but I don't think there's an equivalent for "fellow", so...

Yes, what's wrong with "concitoyens"? That was my first thought. It seems to fit the bill here.

Douglas

USA ENGLISH
    Starcreator said:

Thanks,

[...]

Doug

Moderator note:
    New question in a new thread My fellow passengers.
    Other posts have been copied to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

happydaiz

English - England
    what about if you were saying that you were doing something on behalf of your fellow citizens e.g. Je vous écrit de la part de mes.....citoyens (dont vous faites parties aussi)?

Micia93

France French
    "de mes concitoyens"

there's a similar thread at the moment
    I think that "compatriotes" would better fit for a country and "concitoyens" for a city
    what do you think of that ?

happydaiz

English - England
    That was me :) - apologies for the repeat , it's just cause I thought noone would see my question if I just left it here! I'm actually talking about a city, so concitoyens sounds great! Thanks!

< Previous | Next >