My girlfriend is always yelling at me when we're arguing.

Krybro

Polish
Hi,
I'm pretty sure that the sentence, "My girlfriend always yells at me when we're arguing" is correct(isn't it? :mad:).
However, normally I'd use Present Simple in both parts of the sentence -> My girlfriend always yells at me when we argue.
Can I, instead, use Present Continuous in both parts? -> My girlfriend is always yelling at me when we're arguing. (or, at least, would it be correct if I omitted the "always"?)

I'd rather you didn't consider the rule that allows to use Present Continuous to show annoyance, e.g. "You're always borrowing my things!". I would just like to know if using Present Continous twice in any sentence(e.g. "I'm always listening to music when I'm doing my homework" instead of "I always listen to music when I do/am doing my homework") is correct. Thanks! :)

• ewie

English English
    "My girlfriend always yells at me when we're arguing":tick:
    My girlfriend always yells at me when we argue.:tick:

My girlfriend is always yelling at me when we're arguing ~ it's just about imaginable in conversation (e.g. if some guy was having a moan to his mother ~ it has a 'whiney' feel to it), but I certainly wouldn't recommend it, because, as I say, it's overkill.

< Previous | Next >