My grandfather was German, therefore I speak a bit

PianoMan

United States, English
Is this phrase correct?

Mein Großvater war Deutsch also ich spreche eine Spitze. Aber ich möchte mehr Deutsch lernen.

What I want to say is: My gradfather was German therefore I speak a bit. But I would like to learn more German.

• gaer

US-English
    Is this phrase correct?

Mein Großvater war Deutsch also ich spreche eine Spitze. Aber ich möchte mehr Deutsch lernen.

What I want to say is: My gradfather was German therefore I speak a bit. But I would like to learn more German.
    I knew what you were trying to say, but "Spitze" is the wrong word.

I think you could get away with:

"Ich spreche nur ein Bisschen Deutsch."

My written German is very poor, but I'm almost 100% sure that at least you would be understood saying or writing that.

Then combine it with the idea that your Grandfather is or was German. (Is he still alive?)

If you want to say you speak a little German BECAUSE you Grandfather was German, I think you are on the right track.

Here is another idea:

"Obwohl mein Grossvater Deutscher war, spreche ich nur ein wenig Deutsch."

Although my grandfather was [a] German, I speak only a little German.

I'm sure that's not quite right, but it might get you started before a native shows up to "set it right". ;)

Gaer

Ralf

German
    gaer said:
    I'm sure that's not quite right, but it might get you started before a native shows up to "set it right". ;)
    Gaer
    Nothing wrong with that, Gaer. Both ideas and translations are correct. What I understand from the sentence in question is

Da mein Großvater Deutscher war, spreche ich ein wenig Deutsch.

Ralf

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "Ich spreche eine Spitze" - das ist ja Spitze! :D

Der automatische Übersetzer muss wohl an einen Bohrer gedacht haben! ;)

PianoMan

United States, English
    I originaly was going to use "wenig" because I already knew that word but I thought it would be the wrong meaning, apparently, it was the other way around.

Viel dank. Es tut mir leid, mein Deutsch ist sehr slecht, aber Deutsch nicht ist ein Kurs in meine Oberschule. Ich weiße nur Französisch und Spanisch.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Vielen Dank. Es tut mir leid, mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht, aber Deutsch ist nicht ist ein kein Kurs in an meiner Oberschule. Ich weiße kann nur Französisch und Spanisch.
    Dein Deutsch ist gar nicht "schlecht". Viel Erfolg beim Lernen, benutze aber bitte keine automatischen Übersetzer! ;)

"Wenig" und "bisschen" sind übrigens in diesem Zusammenhang austauschbar.

PianoMan

United States, English
    I actually don't use the translator much at all, I just don't know how to put sentences together well, aber danke. :)

I can read and understand German fairly well, it's just speaking it and writing it I can't do as well. Now, looking at the errors and corrections I realize my mistakes, it's helpful. Is "meiner" because of the accusative or dative case? And by the way, "schlecht" was a typo, I must have pressed the keys too lightly. But I have a question, why kannen over weißen?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    "Meiner" is dative.
    The verbs are "wissen" and "können," and the latter is the one used with languages. "Wissen" is used when you know a fact.

I mentioned the automatic translator in humorous reference to the "Spitze" translation blooper (see post #4), but in retrospect I guess you just picked the wrong dictionary definition - because I don't imagine that that would be the default translation for "bit" if you put the text through an automatic translator. ;)

If you have any further questions, please open a new thread so we don't get too far off-topic. :)

gaer

US-English
    I actually don't use the translator much at all, I just don't know how to put sentences together well, aber danke. :)

I can read and understand German fairly well, it's just speaking it and writing it I can't do as well. Now, looking at the errors and corrections I realize my mistakes, it's helpful. Is "meiner" because of the accusative or dative case? And by the way, "schlecht" was a typo, I must have pressed the keys too lightly. But I have a question, why kannen over weißen?
    I also write German very badly, but I can assure you that if you continue to read a great deal, your sense of when something you write is wrong will become sharper.

As I think Elroy suggested, if you open a new topic about such problems as "meiner", I'm sure you will get a great deal of help or suggestions.

Gaer

Hutschi

Weitere Möglichkeiten für den ersten Satz

Mein Großvater war Deutscher, also spreche ich ein wenig Deutsch. Aber ich möchte mehr Deutsch lernen.

"Also" bedeutet hier "deshalb".

Mein Großvater war Deutscher, deshalb spreche ich ein wenig Deutsch. Aber ich möchte mehr Deutsch lernen.

< Previous | Next >