my laptop turns off by itself

lingkky

chinese
"My laptop turns off by itself."

With this single sentence,it conveys that the laptop will turn off by itself in the future .Does it also convey that the laptop turned off in the past or not necessary?

Last edited:
  • e2efour

UK English
    I would say My laptop turns itself off (for no reason). The menu in Windows is Shut down, so you could also say, among other things, that it shuts down.

Assuming there is something wrong with the laptop, it has probably done this before.
    If it does it while you are speaking, you might say My laptop has just turned itself off.

Are you sure that a poltergeist is not the reason?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I read it as "My laptop normally/routinely switches itself off." (After some preset time of inactivity, for example). What do you want the sentence to mean?

lingkky

chinese
    If I am very sure that the laptop will start to turn itself off from now although it haven't happened before.
    Can this single sentence be applied without telling about much more details?

lingkky

chinese
    If you have not noticed the laptop shut down before and this is not what you want, you could say It has suddenly started to shut down.
    I want to convey that "the laptop will start to shut down from now repeatly and continously "(for some reasons) but it never happened before .

e2efour

UK English
    There are many ways of saying this (including your original sentence).
    But now I don't understand you. How do you know it will start to shut down repeatedly? Do you want this to happen?

lingkky

chinese
    Fo
    There are many ways of saying this (including your original sentence).
    But now I don't understand you. How do you know it will start to shut down repeatedly? Do you want this to happen?
    For example, I found that there is a special virus in my laptop.And I know that it will cause my laptop to shut down frequently.I have those experience from my friend

lingkky

chinese
    Then you will use a phrase with has started to.
    Is there any sentence to decribe that the phenomenon of shutting down frequently is going to happen in the future ?
    I think that "has started to"can only be used when it have shutted down at least one time.

Am I right?

lingkky

chinese
    My laptop has suddenly started to shut down (without warning/for no reason).
    This means that the fault has happened at least once.
    Yes.but my laptop is just going to shut down frequently in the future due to the virus.so it is not suitable to my case

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    A lot depends on how it shuts down.
    Shutting down is what happens when you press the "shut down" button. The process is not instant. If it does it unexpectedly, you can say "My laptop shuts itself down."
    If the screen goes black and the power to the laptop stops, the laptop crashes.
    If a single program shuts down unexpectedly, you say "<name of program> crashes/keeps crashing. If this program causes your laptop to become unusable, you say "<name of program> crashes my computer."
    If the computer stops responding to the mouse and keyboard, and the program will not close but the screen is still showing a program, then the laptop freezes.

lingkky

chinese
    A lot depends on how it shuts down.
    Shutting down is what happens when you press the "shut down" button. The process is not instant. If it does it unexpectedly, you can say "My laptop shuts itself down."
    If the screen goes black and the power to the laptop stops, the laptop crashes.
    If a single program shuts down unexpectedly, you say "<name of program> crashes/keeps crashing. If this program causes your laptop to become unusable, you say "<name of program> crashes my computer."
    If the computer stops responding to the mouse and keyboard, and the program will not close but the screen is still showing a program, then the laptop freezes.
    "My laptop shuts itself down" and"My laptop is shutting itself down"
    Are they same?

< Previous | Next >