My last one bit the dust when a substitute took over for me.

germanictamoon

Hindi (West Uttar Pradesh)
This is a letter in National Geographic Magazine from a reader of California.It is written as
''As a sixth grade teacher in northern California with 60% of my kids mexican origin,I was excited to find the supplement on mexico.Such a map is so important in my classroom.My last one bit the dust when a substitute took over for me.''
I am unable to understand the meaning of last sentence.please explain it.

• sdgraham

USA English
    This is a letter in National Geographic Magazine from a reader of California.It is written as
    ''As a sixth grade teacher in northern California with 60% of my kids mexican origin,I was excited to find the supplement on mexico.Such a map is so important in my classroom.My last one bit the dust when a substitute took over for me.''
    I am unable to understand the meaning of last sentence.please explain it.
    If the above is an exact copy, the teacher should be fired. "Northern California," Mexico" and "Mexican" should be capitalized.

Having groused about that one, I'll add the note that "bit the dust," is a metaphor perhaps stemming from books, television and motion pictures of the American "Western" genre that gave rise to numerous U.S. metaphors and other sayings, e.g. "Smile when you say that, pardner (sic)."

In the never-ending gunfights the losers fell face down in the dirt of unpaved streets and roads.

ewhite

USA/English
    Sic is not an anagram--it's a Latin word that means "thus" or "so". When inserted inside parentheses in an English sentence generally after an error of some kind, sic means "this isn't a mistake, this is the way the author wrote it". Or, in the case of "pardner", this is the way the grizzled old cowboy pronounces "partner".

< Previous | Next >