My life in an open book

• jacinta

USA English
    Wow. You never cease to amaze, Antonio. "My life is an open book". Let's say I work in an office and I date someone who works there too. We have arguments and talk about our private life where everyone hears. Everyone knows our business and erevything about me. My life is an open book. Not open door.

Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    Hello.

--------------------------
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/open%2520book.html
    open book
    somebody or something that is very easy to understand or about which everything is known

- Jane is an open book. I always know what she's going to do next.
    - The council's intensions are an open book. It's trying to save money.

Is the phrase in common use?
    If you're called an open book, do you take it as a compliment?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "My life is an open door" is not meaningful as an idiom.

"At the end of my life is an open door," for example, is a sentence that, though cryptic and laden with metaphorical claptrap, is correct and arguably comprehensible.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hello.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/open%2520book.html
    open book
    somebody or something that is very easy to understand or about which everything is known

- Jane is an open book. I always know what she's going to do next.
    - The council's intensions are an open book. It's trying to save money.

Is the phrase in common use?
    If you're called an open book, do you take it as a compliment?
    It is certainly in common use. As to whether it's complimentary... hmm! I don't think I'd be too pleased about my life being an open book, as it would mean everyone knew everything about me. I would have no privacy.

On the other hand, some people do say it in a positive way. I can imagine, for instance, a politician saying something like: These muckrakers are always trying to dig up some kind of dirt on me, but my life is an open book. If I had done any of the dreadful things they claim I have done, everyone would know about it!

Then again, we all know when politicians are lying: their lips move. ;)

Anyway, that's talking about individuals. In your second example, regarding the council, I think it would always be considered positive for an organisation's behaviour to be "an open book", since that would mean there is no way they could be acting unscrupulously.

< Previous | Next >