My life is sketched out on these pages like a map

< Previous | Next >

mercutio of justice

spanish
Hi! so I got these lyrics from the song called 'Higher' by P.O.D. and I'm wondering about the meaning of that specific line that reads "My life is sketched out on these pages like a map". All I can think about is a sketch map but I don't know how to relate it so it makes sense so, can anyone help me out with this?

I appreciate all the help beforehand.

"This unparalleled life is a gift and not my own
So I keep on walking through the valley of the unknown
[...]
My life is sketched out on these pages like a map
Been good, I've been bad but it shows you where I'm at
[...]"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    I don't know what a "sketch map' is.

I think that the life has been drawn, with pencil, possibly, over the pages/landscape, and it has ended up looking like a map.

Biffo

English - England
    I know what a sketch map is I have often drawn one to show a friend how to reach my house. You simply draw the roads and the turn-offs that are important. However I don't think that is the meaning in this case.

What you have here is a metaphor followed by a simile, or at least I think it's a metaphor. Mercutio can you tell us whether a real book or notebook has been mentioned or do the pages belong to a metaphorical book?

Biffo

English - England
    Okay. I think this refers to the actual pages that the songwriter is writing his song on. A sketch does not have to be a drawing; a literary sketch is also possible.

"like a map" is a simile. He has sketched (in written form) the story of his life. He imagines that his songs form a 'map' of his life.

mercutio of justice

spanish
    ok, so it makes sense now! he's writing like a map of his life on those pages.. that's brilliant! so that's why the next line says "Been good, I've been bad but it shows you where I'm at". Makes perfect sense to me! thank you very much, Biffo! this has been very helpful, seriously!

have a nice day everyone!

:D

< Previous | Next >