My manager _____ on excellent punctuality at all times.

< Previous | Next >

littlemonyou

Korean

1. demands
2. advises
3. insists
4. persists

Hello,

I took a quiz online and checked the choice number 2 (advises) as the answer. But I have no way to find out if my answer is 100% correct. Although the choice number 2 sounds most natural, I think all the other choices could be the answer depending on the bigger context.

Could you offer some commentary/explanation? Thank you SO MUCH in advance!

• Chez

English English
    The correct answer is 3) insists. 'insists' collocates with 'on': you 'insist on' something.

You cannot say: 'demands on'
    'advises' doesn't fit the context because your manager is not just going to advise (suggest) that you be punctual, he is going to be very definite about it (to insist on).
    'persist' is the wrong meaning in this context and doesn't collocate with 'on'.

littlemonyou

Korean
    The correct answer is 3) insists. 'insists' collocates with 'on': you 'insist on' something.

You cannot say: 'demands on'
    'advises' doesn't fit the context because your manager is not just going to advise (suggest) that you be punctual, he is going to be very definite about it (to insist on).
    'persist' is the wrong meaning in this context and doesn't collocate with 'on'.
    I thought 'insist on' could only be used in the form of 'insist on doing sth'. So I guess what you're saying is 'insist on' can take a noun as well. :)

Also, just for my clarification . . .

If there was no "AT ALL TIMES" in the sentence, can we say "advises on"?

sound shift

English - England
    If there was no "AT ALL TIMES" in the sentence, can we say "advises on"?
    "My manager advises on excellent punctuality" sounds odd.

It is not a normal way of saying "My manager tells his staff that excellent punctuality is required".

It could alternatively be inferred that my manager is an advisor, a consultant on "excellent punctuality". But in practice that wouldn't make sense.

Packard

USA, English

1. demands
    2. advises
    3. insists
    4. persists

Hello,

I took a quiz online and checked the choice number 2 (advises) as the answer. But I have no way to find out if my answer is 100% correct. Although the choice number 2 sounds most natural, I think all the other choices could be the answer depending on the bigger context.

Could you offer some commentary/explanation? Thank you SO MUCH in advance!
    I will offer some examples. But in each case "precise" works better than "excellent". In fact I find "excellent" to be a poor word-choice for these sentences.

• My manager demands that there be excellent precise punctuality at all times.
    • My manager advises that there should be excellent precise punctuality at all times.
    • My manager insists on excellent precise punctuality at all times.
    • My manager persists in his demand for excellent precise punctuality at all times.

This is how I would have written it:

My manager requires that we always show up on time.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    "My manager advises on excellent punctuality" sounds odd.
    You advise / give advice on a topic. This seems to say that your manager teaches seminars on punctuality, not that it is something he is telling you to do.
    Dr Fauci advises President Trump on COVID-19 precautions. He doesn't tell him to take precautions; he tells him what he thinks the precautions should be.

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    Other alternatives that I think sound better than the ones offered in the original post:

My manager requires punctuality at all times.

or

My manager requires exacting punctuality at all times.
    My manager requires strict punctuality at all times.

< Previous | Next >