My marital status is

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
Hello

Can we ask someone, "what is your marital status?"? And can the answer be "My marital status is single."?

The context is general, neither formal nor informal.

Thank you

• emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    Yes, guys, I know it's not common. But are the question and the answer grammatically correct and acceptable in formal settings?

Barque

Tamil
    I know it's not common.
    It's not just uncommon, it's unnatural.

But are the question and the answer grammatically correct and acceptable in formal settings?
    They are grammatically correct and you'd be understood. I'm not sure what you mean by "acceptable". While people might not say it to your face, they'll probably think to themselves that you don't know how to ask the question in a natural manner.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The answer to 'Are you married?' is no longer simply 'Yes' or 'No'.

It could be 'I live with my partner in a civil relationship'.
    I think the answer to "Are you married?" still is a simple "Yes" or "No." The problem is that "Are you married?" may not fully express what a questioner wants to know.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Can we ask someone, "what is your marital status?"? And can the answer be "My marital status is single."?

The context is general, neither formal nor informal.
    I'm sorry, but 'contextually' this is far more complicated and 'general' means little or nothing.
    Let's take the social level: I never ever ask people about their relationship status, unless the conversation absolutely requires that detail of personal information. At a social level the exact nature of somebody's relationship whether sexual or civil is none of my business.
    Most of the forms I fill in give an 'Other' option. I always fill in the 'Other' option, whether its gender or ethnicity or title.

< Previous | Next >