My mouth hurts/It hurts in my mouth

prudent260

Chinese
I was talking with my friend and he noted that I couldn't speak clearly.

"My mouth hurts because of a sore on my tongue," I told him.

On second thought, "It hurts in my mouth because of a sore on my tongue" seems right as well.

Which one is more naturally, and is there better way to express it?

Thank you

• Myridon

English - US
    Perhaps - it hurts inside my mouth... but I prefer the first.
    A little better but still pretty bad. A dummy it usually has no exact reference. It seems like there is something inside that is unknown/indescribable. Stop putting strange things in your mouth! ;)

prudent260

Chinese
    A dummy it usually has no exact reference...Stop putting strange things in your mouth!
    Thank you for telling me that 'it hurts in my mouth' is not natural.
    Actually, wearing dental retainers is suffering. You never know!!:p

The sentence below was found on a website:
    So, what is this pain in my stomach? - Bike Forums
    it hurts in my stomach, right below my lungs.

Then is it naturally to say, "It hurts in my stomach because I have gastric ulcers?"
    I feel the structures are similar, but this one doesn't sound strange.
    Or is it strange?

Thank you, Blueglaze and Myridon.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    As I said, that structure seems like you're using "a dummy it" like "It is raining."
    Your stomach hurts. You know what hurts so you don't replace "stomach" with a "dummy".
    Or, "it" is something you swallowed.
    I swallowed a rabbit. It hurts in my stomach because it is being digested. ;)

prudent260

Chinese
    Your stomach hurts. You know what hurts so you don't replace "stomach" with a "dummy".
    Oh!! "It hurts in my stomach and I don't know what caused the pain" is naturally. However, since I know gastric ulcers are the reason, I should say, "My stomach hurts because of gastric ulcers."

Is my understanding correct?

Thank you

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    Oh!! "It hurts in my stomach and I don't know what caused the pain." is naturally, but since I know gastric ulcers are the reason. I should say, "My stomach hurts because of gastric ulcers."
    When you say "it hurts," "it" is the thing that hurts. Something hurts because of gastric ulcers. Your stomach hurts, not some undefinable thing like the thing that rains in "it rains."
    To put it another way: All sentences must have a subject, but some ideas don't have a natural subject. A "dummy it" is used when a sentence needs a subject, but the sentence has no subject. Your sentence has a subject: "my stomach."

< Previous | Next >