My mouth will be frozen

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by yuechu, Apr 7, 2013.

  1. yuechu Senior Member

    Canada, English
    Hello/Bonjour !

    I am trying to translate the following sentence and am not too sure how to say the word "freeze" in this context in French:

    "My mouth will be frozen when I have the dental work done on Friday."
    Ma bouche sera gelée quand on va faire du travail dentaire sur moi vendredi.

    Could both of these structures be translated literally in French? (I have a feeling that there is probably another way of saying it... )

    Merci d'avance !
  2. jetset

    jetset Senior Member

    sera maintenue figée ?
    What do you mean ? Hold open up ?
  3. CarlosRapido

    CarlosRapido Senior Member

    Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    'gelée' à la Novocaïne, pas figée. On parle d'anesthésie locale et on dit gelé au Canada, ce qui ne semble pas être compris en France. Dites-vous désensibilisé?
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. yuechu Senior Member

    Canada, English
    Thanks, jetset and CarlosRapido, for your replies! I should have explained the meaning of "frozen" in my original post, as the meaning is not obvious! It is the application of an anesthetic to a part of the mouth so that one doesn't feel pain.

    In Europe, would one use a different expression than one would in Canada? (I'm also assuming that "gelé" is not used over there.. )
  5. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    D'accord pour « gelée » dans un contexte canadien.
    Mais je trouve bien curieux de dire : Ma bouche sera gelée.

    Si tu veux parler de la sensation après l'anesthésie locale/l'injection, alors : je vais avoir la bouche gelée / engourdie...
    Si tu veux parler de l'anesthésie locale avant le traitement dentaire, alors : le dentiste va me geler la bouche / les dents...

    Et je dirais : traitement dentaire
  6. yuechu Senior Member

    Canada, English
    Merci, Nicoman ! I like your versions better

    Dans un context européen, est-ce que je pourrais donc dire "Le dentiste va m'insensibiliser la bouche/les dents... " ?
  7. Quaeitur

    Quaeitur Mod'elle

    Lille, France
    In French, in this context, I would expect : Le dentiste va m'anesthésier la gencive.
  8. Lly4n4 Senior Member

    Paris (ex-Grand Ouest)
    Français (France)
    Je dirais spontanément :
    J'aurai une anesthésie locale pour (l'extraction de) mes dents de sagesse vendredi.
    Le dentiste me fera une anesthésie (locale) vendredi.

    Généralement, la gencive/bouche est sous-entendue quand on parle de dentiste.

Share This Page