my name "is given" by my professor

< Previous | Next >

JerryLCC

Chinese
Hello,

When we introduce our name to others, should we say "My English name is given by my instructor in junior high", or anyother verbs?

Thanks

• boozer

Bulgarian
    That is a curious sentence, Jerry. :) It seems to say that your English name is given on a regular basis to someone, not known who (well, likely to you, but there is no telling). I think you should consider something like:

My English name was given to me by my instructor...

You could also drop the 'to' and say 'was given me', but that sounds a bit... dated, perhaps.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'm quite happy with 'given me', though 'given to me' is more common. 'Junior high' is the same as lower secondary school, isn't it? In school we talk about 'teachers' rather than 'instructors' or 'professors'.

Boozer, I think it is standard practice in China for learners to be given names in the particular language that they are learning, so as to get into the frame of mind of speaking that language. If you went for a Chinese class, you would be given a Chinese name.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Boozer, I think it is standard practice in China for learners to be given names in the particular language that they are learning, so as to get into the frame of mind of speaking that language. If you went for a Chinese class, you would be given a Chinese name.
    Thanks for educating me, Nat. :) This is all really interesting to know. If they wanted to give me a Chinese name, they would surely be sweating over it, though, because my real name means nothing in particular and actually derives from St. George. :)

JerryLCC

Chinese
    Thank you guys, so is it commone, if we say "was given" in idiotmatic English. or will it sound werid or too formal?

Thank you

boozer

Bulgarian
    It will not sound weird or too formal - it is the normal tense (past) that should be used when talking about the past. 'Is given' takes us to the broad present time.

< Previous | Next >