My name is Mark from by Mr. Mohamed.

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
My name is Mark from by Mr. Mohamed.
Is it correct to say the highlighted part in English?

The Clarification:
I'd like to say to someone that Mr. Mohamed recommended me to contact you or I'm a friend of Mr. Mohamed and he recommend me to contact you.

Last edited:
  • economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    I'd like to write something in a subject of email that refers that I'm a relative or a friend of Mr. Mohamed. What can say in such a context?
    I found the word "from by" in the dictionary but it seems not the right word to use in such a context.
    This construction - "from by" - doesn't make any sense.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Really, you found "from by" in the dictionary? Can you share that part of the dictionary?

Why not say what you mean? "My name is Mark, and I'm a relative/a friend of Mr. Mohammed."

JamesM

You could also say: "My name is Mark. Mr. Mohammed referred me to you." or "My name is Mark. Mr. Mohammed recommended/suggested that I contact you."

As the others have said, I would have no idea what "from by Mr. Mohammed" meant.

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    I can give you the name of the dictionary. It's Sakhr Dicitonary (Arabic-English)
    Thank you for your suggestion but it's too long. Is there any other word or fragment that can be used as subject and at the same time express about what I wanted to express?
    Really, you found "from by" in the dictionary? Can you share that part of the dictionary?

Why not say what you mean? "My name is Mark, and I'm a relative/a friend of Mr. Mohammed."

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "Mr. Mohammed's friend"? "A friend of Mr. Mohammed's"?

Expressions are of different length in different languages. To an English speaker, there is nothing "long" about "I'm a friend of Mr. Mohammed."

Can you please write out what is given in the dictionary entry for "from by," and the usage examples it gives for "from by"?

JamesM

I can give you the name of the dictionary. It's Sakhr Dicitonary (Arabic-English)
    Thank you for your suggestion but it's too long. Is there any other word or fragment that can be used as subject and at the same time express about what I wanted to express?
    I suppose you could say: "My name is Mark, referred by Mr. Mohammed." It sounds a little odd to me but I would understand it. I think I would prefer: "My name is Mark. Mr. Mohammed referred me (to you)."

As lucas-sp said, we can't expect the length of a translated phrase or sentence to be the same in different languages. Different languages have different ways of expressing the same idea.

I'm curious, too, to see the actual entry for "from by" from your dictionary. I can't think of an example in English where "from" and "by" would be next to each other in a sentence and used to mean something specific. I can construct a sentence where "from" and "by" are next to each other but the "from" would refer to something earlier in the sentence and the "by" would refer to something that followed the "by".

Myridon

English - US
    I'd like to write something in a subject of email that refers that I'm a relative or a friend of Mr. Mohamed.
    The subject line of an email doesn't usually contain information about who the email is from. "My name is Mark. ..." would normally be in the body of the email. If you think this is really necessary, I suggest the subject of the email be:
    Referred by Mr Mohammed
    or
    A referral from Mr Mohammed
    and then you could start the body with:
    My name is Mark. I was referred to you by Mr. Mohammed.

< Previous | Next >