My name is oooo who wants to........

Rami0906

Korean
Hello, everybody!!
I'm preparing an interview in English and a first sentence of self introduction has always bothered me.

Is it okay to say " My name is oooo who wants to be a teacher" ?
What I think wired is to use relative pronoun 'who' for my name.

Because if I say like "He's Mike who wants to be a techer", it sounds just fine to me.
But using relative pronoun for myself sounds wired...
Is it okay? Or not?
I'll wait for your answer!
Thanks a lot:)

• dreamlike

Polish
    You're right, it sounds weird, the reason being that in your first example 'who' refers to your name, not to a personal pronoun, which is by the way absent from the sentence.

The second sentence sound better, because there's 'he' in it, although I can't really imagine myself saying it.

A good solution to your problem would be to simply say 'My name is X and I want to be a teacher'.

Rami0906

Korean
    Thank you dreamlike!!
    It became simple :)

But is there any way to emphasize my name?
    because what i want to say is
    'Who wants to be a teacher is just me!'
    I want to express this nuance....

Last edited:

dreamlike

Polish
    I can't think of a natural way in which you could emphasize your name and say that you want to become a teacher.

It is clear from this sentence - 'My name X and I want to be teacher' - though, that it is you who want pursue a teaching career. :)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hello, everybody!!
    I'm preparing an interview in English and a first sentence of self introduction has always bothered me.

Is it okay to say " My name is oooo who wants to be a teacher" ?
    What I think is wired is to use weird is the use of the relative pronoun 'who' for my name.

Because if I say like "He's Mike who wants to be a teacher", it sounds just fine to me.
    But using relative pronoun for myself sounds wired weird...
    Is it okay? Or not?
    I'll wait for your answer!
    Thanks a lot:)
    The relative pronoun usually refers to the noun immediately before it. In your example, this would be your name. However! The effect is that it makes it appears as if you are talking about yourself in the third person, and that is weird.

Take dreamlike's suggestion. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >