my name is vs I am

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options (my name is ZT)/(I am ZT) is correct in the following:
Dear Mr XY,
(my name is ZT)/(I am ZT) and I sent an application for the position of physician by email about three weeks ago.

• heypresto

English - England
    They are both grammatically correct, but I don't think either of them are natural or necessary in this context.

That is to say, I wouldn't start a letter or email this way. It's more natural, and conventional, to sign off with your name at the end.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I wouldn't start it this way in American usage either. My students often do this. I tell them it's unnecessary and not done in business. In e-mail, every message has a From field that identifies the sender. In both e-mail and postal mail, the sender's name is at the end.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi Marcbatco - I agree completely with heypresto. This seems to be a common cultural difference. I've noticed several similar questions here. We do not introduce ourselves by name in business correspondence. The signature at the end is sufficient.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    HeyPresto's reaction was exactly my reaction. The inquiry will be signed, so it's unnecessary to announce your name at the start.

< Previous | Next >