My name is XXX (self introduction in a speech)

Trimple

Japanese
Dear all,

I am preparing a speech one of our company executives will give at an overseas subsidiary.
There will be several guests making a speech and there will be a "master of ceremonies" who
will briefly tell the audience the name and title of the guests.
On such occasions, do native English speakers make an introduction of him/herself at the outset?

For example, the underlined part as in the following.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Congratulations on the 10th anniversary of COMPANY A.
My name is XXXX YYYY, Vice President of ZZZ."

In Japanese we do, but I had understood this is not customary in English.
However after googling and finding many examples of "My name is XXX" thrown in
somewhere in the first portion of the speech, I am not so sure. What is the standard?

Trimple

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As I understand your question, the Master of Ceremonies introduces the guest speakers, and then each speaker... speaks.

Much depends on who the audience are: if they are likely to know the speaker, then it is not necessary to give the introduction - the MC's will be enough. Likewise, if there is a published program with the name(s) of the speaker(s), then the self-introduction is not required.

If neither apply, then "Ladies and Gentlemen, for those of you who have not met me, I am XXX YYY, Vice President of ZZZ. Blah, blah, blah..."

I think in any circumstance it would be rare to say, "My name is..."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    If the speaker uses PowerPoint or similar slides, the first slide will probably be on the screen as the speaker begins and will usually have the speaker's name and title. In that case, there is no reason at all to state it separately. Doing so would sound as if the speaker is so in love with the sound of his or her own name that s/he finds it necessary to say it at every opportunity. When I'm in that situation, I sometimes wave my hand toward the slide behind me (or next to me) and say something like "As our MC just said, that's me."

Trimple

Japanese
    Thank you all, for your insights.
    I am glad for the confirmation that it is redundant in English.
    (Though not so in the context of Japanese culture...We would identify ourselves even after an extensive introduction.)

I am not yet decided on whether or not to stick to PaulQ's suggestion. I think I will check with the MC first.

Thank you!!

Trimple

< Previous | Next >