My own self

Yuuichi Tam

Japanese
The little boy looked at her with surprise. 'Oh!' said he; 'what do they call ye?'
'My own self,' she said in a shrill but sweet little voice, and she looked at him, too. 'And what do they call ye?'
'Just my own self, too!' he answered cautiously; and with that they began to play together.

This is from a Scottish fairly tale "My own self". Is "My own self" her name? However the boy said "Just my own self, too!". Is there something meaning in the word "my own self"?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Yes, it is an extended form of "Me."

Please tell us more about the story. Who is "her"? What happens next? Etc.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    The phrase "My own self" is an integral part of the tale. It is a special use and doesn't need to conform to or reveal anything about general language or usage. Basically, I think, here it has about the same meaning as saying "My name": "They call me 'My Name.'"

Yuuichi Tam

Japanese
    The phrase "My own self" is an integral part of the tale. It is a special use and doesn't need to conform to or reveal anything about general language or usage. Basically, I think, here it has about the same meaning as saying "My name": "They call me 'My Name.'"
    Thank you for your answer. Did the boy say that they call him "My own self(My name)"? Or did he say that they say call him his name(for example, Tom)?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Thank you for your answer. Did the boy say that they call him "My own self(My name)"? Or did he say that they say call him his name(for example, Tom)?
    They literally say those words. She says that her name is "My Own Self." He imitates her and says that his name is also "My Own Self." The story would work also if she had said "My name is 'I'" or "My name is 'Me'" or "My name is 'Myself.'"

Yuuichi Tam

Japanese
    They literally say those words. She says that her name is "My Own Self." He imitates her and says that his name is also "My Own Self." The story would work also if she had said "My name is 'I'" or "My name is 'Me'" or "My name is 'Myself.'"
    Thank you again.

< Previous | Next >