my pitch, my account

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Ben is working at an ad agency. He learns that the company's going to work with some diamond-related clients, but another division is already on it (where Ben is working is about sneakers and beers, not precious gems). But he thinks he must have it, he says:
- This was my tip. It's going to be my pitch, my account, my campaign. This is my baby.
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, movie

How do I understand 'pitch' and 'account' here?
Thanks.

Last edited:
  • dadda-dutz

English-American
    Pitch refers to the sales spiel that Ben will use to convince the client to buy the company's goods. His account means the sale should be attributed to his efforts, and thus any commission will go to him alone.

Copyright

American English
    He is looking ahead: He will pitch various concepts to the client. They will be good enough that he will win the account (the client will give their business to the agency). And he will be responsible for producing the campaign to sell the product.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    He is looking ahead: He will pitch various concepts to the client. They will be good enough that he will win the account (the client will give their business to the agency). And he will be responsible for producing the campaign to sell the product.
    I thought the 'account' was:
    Profit or advantage
    But now it looks like it means:
    A customer having a business or credit relationship with a firm
    (AHD)

Am I right?

Copyright

American English
    Getting closer. :)

This is an advertising agency we're talking about, so an account is a company or brand or product or service that you have been given advertising responsibility for.

As an example, P&G (Proctor & Gamble) is so large and diversified that no one agency would normally have the entire account. They might have the account for Gillette or Tide or Braun, to name just three of P&G's brands. Even then, they might have a regional, rather than worldwide, Tide account, e.g. for North America or Asia Pacific.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Getting closer. :)

This is an advertising agency we're talking about, so an account is a company or brand or product or service that you have been given advertising responsibility for.

As an example, P&G (Proctor & Gamble) is so large and diversified that no one agency would normally have the entire account. They might have the account for Gillette or Tide or Braun, to name just three of P&G's brands. Even then, they might have a regional, rather than worldwide, Tide account, e.g. for North America or Asia Pacific.
    Thank you !

< Previous | Next >