My pleasure: can this have a sexual inference?

Unknownn2

Persian
This is a part of a conversation between person A (male) and person B (female):

A: I like the way you speak, very cute.
B: You know, I can't speak English very well, please correct me wherever I am wrong.
A: I can help.
B: My pleasure.

Person A is a native English speaker, while person B is not. The conversation has not involved any sexual stuff to that point.
Now the problem is, person A has a sexual interpretation of "my pleasure", which is not what person B meant.

My question: Is this a proper use of "my pleasure"? If it's not, can it really have a sexual inference in this context?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Unknownn2

Persian
    So, what I understand so far, is that the term "my pleasure" can potentially have a sexual meaning. But with the context here (discussion about language) and considering that the conversation was in text, isn't such an interpretation extremely irrelevant?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    So, what I understand so far, is that the term "my pleasure" can potentially have a sexual meaning. But with the context here (discussion about language) and considering that the conversation was in text, isn't such an interpretation extremely irrelevant?
    Yes, I agree, it is irrelevant.

The answers to your original questions are:

Is this a proper use of "my pleasure"? Yes, it is.

can it really have a sexual inference in this context? No it can't.

I would add that anything said with "a wink and a nudge" is probably a hint at something sexual.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It isn't a proper use of "my pleasure" though, is it? The point seems to be that, as a learner of English, she makes the mistake of saying "My pleasure" instead of "Thank you".
    "A" then pounces on "my pleasure", pretending to take it as some kind of flirtatious invitation.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Do you know? I misread the original. My apologies.

B: You know, I can't speak English very well, please correct me wherever I am wrong.
    A: I can help.
    B: My pleasure. Thank you.

A: My pleasure. :tick: = I will be happy to do that.

< Previous | Next >