My schedule will be changing soon.

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I've been tutoring online for the past couple of months, and I want to let some students know that my schedule will be changing soon (since I'll be taking a full schedule of university courses in the fall).
Would anyone know how to translate "My schedule will be changing soon." into Chinese? (for either a formal or informal context?)
Would it be "我的时间表很快(会?要?)有变化(了?)"?

Thanks! :)

• Techref

Chinese - Mandarin
    I would say
    我的時間表會有改變
    Or
    我的時間表會改變

The word 會 or 会 tells the listener that “soon or anytime” the schedule would change.

I’m not sure if 變化 can be used for schedule and those sorts because it’s mainly used in scientific terms or transitional changes like the moon when it waxes and wanes.

Perhaps others would chime in for more info.

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    By 'schedule', do you mean the time when you are available to your students and can give language lessons online? (I ask because while @Techref's suggestion is fine, I am trying to come up with a sentence without '時間表'. I am unsure of whether it is just I or most native speakers that tend to make it clear at once.)

Last edited:

SuperXW

The term 时间表 is not commonly used in Chinese as in English. 我的时间表 sounds like a very formal thing, even a little pretentious.
    I agree with Simon. I wonder whether it is YOUR or THEIR schedule is going to change? Coz the students should only care about THEIR schedule.
    You may also consider: 上课时间很快会有调整/变更 etc.

yuechu

Canada, English
    By 'schedule', do you mean the time when you are available to your students and can give language lessons online?
    Yes, that's right.

My availability is posted on the tutoring website, and students can choose to take lessons in whatever time slot(s) they wish (which are available).

我的时间表 sounds like a very formal thing, even a little pretentious.
    Oh, really? Would it sound better to translate "My availability will change..." instead? (EDIT: corrected spelling mistake)

Thank you all for your help! :)

Last edited:

SuperXW

My availability is posted on the tutoring website, and students can choose to take lessons in whatever time slot(s) they wish (which are available).
    In this case, 我的时间表 is fine.
    我的授课时间 could be a bit more natural.
    我的时间表 in Chinese, sounds like a single, particular time table only marking your own things.

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    我們上課的時間不久後會有所調整。

'時間表' is not very formal, but we do not say it as often as English speakers do.

albert_laosong

Mandarin
    I don't think we use 时间表 in such a context. 时间表 is more used to in formal contexts, like 关于这个项目,你能给我们一个具体的时间表吗? or 英国已经决定脱欧,但还没有给出一个具体的时间表。

"my schedule will be changing soon (since I'll be taking a full schedule of university courses in the fall)"
    我的日程安排很快会有变化,因为到秋天之后我大学的课程就要全面开始了。

I believe you are not talking about your tutoring schedule in the original sentence, but your general schedule, so it may not be accurate to translate it as 上课时间/授课时间.

yuechu

Canada, English
    我的时间表 in Chinese, sounds like a single, particular time table only marking your own things.
    I just realized that the Chinese word 时间表 may be more similar to the English word "timetable" than "schedule" (in terms of meaning, usage and formality).

Shazhudao945

Chinese - Mainland China
    I've been tutoring online for the past couple of months, and I want to let some students know that my schedule will be changing soon. And you give them the information only orally.
    For Chinese like me, I get the information: 上课时间很快会有调整/变更. And you can say that.

But if you give them a format/blank like this, and inform them on the meanwhile. In this context, you can say 我的时间表会有调整。(but still you can say 上课时间很快会有调整/变更.

By the way, I agree with SuperXW on the point that you should use 调整/变更 instead of 改变. 调整/变更 is passive while 改变 when used along is usually active.
    1599716520699.png

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >