... My sorrow self of my sorrow.

dado

FRANCE
Bonjour, Comment traduire en français les vers suivants:
Hello, How translate in french the following verses:

"Poor Narcissus
My sorrow
Self of my sorrow. "

Extract from the poem titled "Narcissus" , in the collection "After Lorca" by Jack Spicer (circa 1955).

Mon problème est "self" dans ce contexte. Est ce un substantif , un verbe , ou une expression idiomatique?

My problem is "self" is this context. Is it a substantive, a verb or an idiomatic expression?

Par avance Merci,
By advance Thank you very much

• judkinsc

English, USA
    It could refer to something outside the three lines that you've provided.

I'd say it simply intensifies "sorrow," without knowing the entire poem. "Poor Narcissus, the one for whom I sorrow...the essence of my sorrow..."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    dado said:
    "Poor Narcissus
    My sorrow
    Self of my sorrow. "
    My problem is "self" is this context. Is it a substantive, a verb or an idiomatic expression?
    I would say it is not a verb, not an idiomatic expression.

As judkinsc said, it suggests that someone, perhaps Narcissus, is the essence of my sorrow. Maybe even the personification of my sorrow.

hald

France
    Just a guess : est-ce que l'utilisation de "self" ne serait pas à relier avec l'égocentrisme dont Narcisse est en général le symbole ?

judkinsc

English, USA
    hald said:
    Just a guess : est-ce que l'utilisation de "self" ne serait pas à relier avec l'égocentrisme dont Narcisse est en général le symbole ?
    Most likely. Narcissus could be talking to himself in the poem, which would make even more sense.

dado

FRANCE
    Hello to all,
    And thank you for your help.
    The three cited verses is the last stanza of the poem ( all 6 stanzas of 3 or 4 verses, total 20 lines). All along the poem Spicer "speaks" to Narcissus using "you" or "your".

So I conclude (temporarly) that the last stanza is a meditative thought of Spicer concerning his own condition, his own loving situation, in relation with Narcissus.

The transaltion shall be (for the moment)
    "Pauvre Narcisse
    Ma tristesse / douleur (I have not chosen)
    Nait de ma douleur/trsitesse".

Kind regards
    dado

< Previous | Next >