my teacher asked all my class / all her class / in class

Gunday

Korean
Last month, my teacher suddenly asked all my class, "Do you want to go for something worthwhile?" We all answered, "Yes!"

Last month, my teacher suddenly asked all her class, "Do you want to go for something worthwhile?" We all answered, "Yes!"

Last month, my teacher suddenly asked in class, "Do you want to go for something worthwhile?" We all answered, "Yes!"

Which is correct or better?

• Trisia

Romanian
    You mean between asked "her," "my," or "in" class? They seem to me more like a matter of preference than grammar. I wouldn't choose "her" though, it's the least logical.

Fury

Scotland - English
    Sorry but I would say "asked the class" as it's understood that she's the teacher and that it's the class you're in...

marquess

U.K. English
    All perfectly possible, but of course all possibly different.
    My teacher may not be the teacher of everyone in this particular class at this particular time. Some schools have many teachers, some are assigned a class of their own for the year, but also teach other classes in their special subject, and some pupils may even be assigned personal tutors. So my teacher could sometimes refer to the teacher generally responsible for my class this year, my french teacher, my personal teacher. my class could refer to my annual class, my art class (perhaps some of my annual class go to art lessons while others go for woodwork lessons) etc. But this is about logic and classes, and your sentences could all be good English but incorrect depending on your meaning.

< Previous | Next >