My, that looks a bit of a beast

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers
I've sent a picture of two young children, about 6, to one of my friends and she said. "My, that looks a bit of a beast". Please, what is the meaning?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    My god...

The "god" is omitted. Is the one who said this a native speaker?

This sounds like when you experience something bad, you want to say the F word, but you don't say the whole word, just like “Oh, Fxx', you realize that it's not impolite to say so.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    My God...

The "God" is omitted. Is the one who said this a native speaker?

This sounds like when you experience something bad, you want to say the F word, but you don't say the whole word, just like “Oh, Fxx', you realize that it's not impolite to say so.
    Thanks. That's right. I know about the "My". What about the rest? What the sentences says is, "My, that looks a bit of a beast!"

TL

Last edited:

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Is the person a native English speaker?" Is "My, that looks a bit of a beast" exactly what was said? It's not natural. The photo is of two children, what was said is in the singular. Was it a reference to one of the children?

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Is the person a native English speaker?" Is "My, that looks a bit of a beast" exactly what was said? It's not natural. The photo is of two children, what was said is in the singular.
    Yes, she is a native English speaker. The exact sentence, "No translation needed. Looks a bit of a beast". Yes two children. Background, the sea. Both of them standing up and with swimming trunks.
    Was it a reference to one of the children?
    I really don't know.

TL

cando

English - British
    “That looks a bit of a beast” could mean that whatever the speaker is looking at or referring to is perceived as having some measure of any of the following qualities: large, awe-inspiring, powerful, difficult to handle, dangerous, … or similar ideas. It is difficult to know without precise context.

The mode of expression does not seem very childlike and the use of “My” as an exclamation makes it feel very old fashioned. Is this a cartoon from an early twentieth century magazine?

Barque

Tamil
    Hi TL. Not sure I've understood. In your OP, you said that you sent the picture to your friend and she commented on it. But your post #7 sounds as if it was her photo and she sent it to you with a comment.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi TL. Not sure I've understood. In your OP, you said that you sent the picture to your friend and she commented on it. But your post #7 sounds as if it was her photo and she sent it to you with a comment.
    Hi Barque,
    No really. In fact, I sent her the photo.

TL

Myridon

English - US
    And she said ""No translation needed. Looks a bit of a beast." not "My, that looks a bit of a beast." at all.
    Do you suppose the "beast" could be the thing that doesn't need "translation." Perhaps you sent a description with the photo that was hard for her to read?

< Previous | Next >