my two friends of many years

Wrpword

Thai
Does this phrase "my two friends of many years" mean :-

They are my two friends for many years"? or
My two friends who I have been in touch with them for many years?

Thank you!

• smokeymcpot1988

English (UK)
    I believe that it means the second, " My two friends who I have been in touch with them for many years?" or in other words, my two friends who I have known for many years.

I hope that helps

Dimcl

Canadian English
    This sentence says nothing about being in touch with these people. It simply means that you have two friends with whom you have been friends for many years.

One presumes that you have remained friends by staying in touch but it is possible for people to remain friends and not to be in contact for a long time, even years.

You cannot know, from this sentence, whether they have been in touch or not.

Wrpword

Thai
    That is every interesting comment and that is why I have to raise such question because it creates condusion in its meaning, however, thank you very much, Dimcle.

Forero

To me, "my two friends of many years" means "two people who became my friends many years ago." Neither of the two possible "translations" makes sense to me as written, and neither being friends now nor having been in touch is very relevant to the meaning as I see it.

Welcome to the forum, SmokeyMcPot1988.

< Previous | Next >