My underwear/panties is going to fall down/fall over

< Previous | Next >

Roster

Spanish-México-España
My underwear/panties is going to fall down/fall over. <-----Topic added to post by moderator (Florentia52) -----)----->

Hi there I'd like to know if my sentence is right?
Context: when a girl is walking on the street, but she didn't notice that her panties is too loose or a man uses underwear too loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We can't proofread your entire sentence, Roster. Which version do you think is correct, and which word or phrase most concerns you?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Normally, you can't see panties or underwear, so can you explain your context better?

JamesM

It's strange but we use singular with underwear and plural with panties, briefs or boxers. It would be "My panties are falling down" or "My underwear is falling down". (Falling is an odd word here, in my opinion, but it would be understood.)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    "My panties are going to fall down" will work, but not "fall over".

A man would say "pants" (in BE) or "boxers".

Roster

Spanish-México-España
    It's strange but we use singular with underwear and plural with panties, briefs or boxers. It would be "My panties are falling down" or "My underwear is falling down". (Falling is an odd word here, in my opinion, but it would be understood.)
    But I found some examples with the verbs "fall down and fall over".

My underwear always falls down
    my panties just fell off
    Kacey Musgraves' Panties Fall Off at CMA Awards
    You make my panties fall off
    men in army uniforms make my panties fall off!
    Everytime my panties fall down

perpend

Banned
    American English
    My underwear/panties is going to fall down/fall over. <-----Topic added to post by moderator (Florentia52) -----)----->

Hi there I'd like to know if my sentence is right?
    Context: when a girl is walking on the street, but she didn't notice that her panties is too loose or a man uses underwear too loose.
    Is the girl in these cases not wearing outerwear, and is walking down the street in skivvies?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    Is the girl in these cases not wearing outerwear, and is walking down the street in skivvies?
    Well, presumably if the girl were walking down the street in a skirt, and her panties were loose, they could indeed fall down.

They still wouldn't fall over, though. :(
    And she'd have to pretty careless for them to actually fall off. :eek:

Roster

Spanish-México-España
    Well, presumably if the girl were walking down the street in a skirt, and her panties were loose, they could indeed fall down.

They still wouldn't fall over, though. :(
    And she'd have to pretty careless for them to actually fall off. :eek:
    But fall down and fall over are not the same thing?

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    But fall down and fall over are not the same thing?
    No, they are not.
    Underpants may fall down, if they go down to the ground.

We use 'falls over', when something that was standing up falls onto its side. For instance, a statue may 'fall over' or bottle might.

Roster

Spanish-México-España
    some guys use their jeans below their butt and they show their boxers or young black men walk with their pants hanging half way down their butts and underwear may fall down if they use their boxers too loose.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    some guys uses their jeans below their butt and they show their boxers or young black men walk with their pants hanging half way down their butts and underwear may fall if they use their boxer too loose.
    But their boxers/underwear wouldn't fall down unless their jeans fell down as well. :(

We'd just say "Their underwear is showing".

cando

English - British
    Pants and trousers are plural nouns (taking a plural verb) because they are always referred to as "a pair of ...". The historical reason for this is because clothing for legs, whether as underwear or outer-wear, were originally made as two separate leggings which were held up by a string or belt at the waist. Later tailoring skills enabled these to be joined in a single garment with a crotch, but the words have remained dual plural nouns.

< Previous | Next >