Myriad as an adjective

< Previous | Next >

arjun78

India-Hindi
Hi,:)

I am familiar with myriad as a noun, but here I am talking about adjective as in: I saw myriad stars.

My confusion is: do we need an article in front of myriad? I saw a myriad stars. The article 'the' would be odd here. So which article is right, or is an article necessary at all? For noun, it is 'a myriad of stars' but what is it for adjective?

Thanks,

• Myridon

English - US
    The noun is "stars". You cannot say "a X stars" no matter what adjective X you use as "a" is singular and "stars" is plural.
    Due to its meaning, the adjective "myriad" would generally be applied to a countable, plural noun so I can't think of any situation where "a myriad <noun>" would occur.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I am familiar with myriad as a noun, but here I am talking about adjective as in: I saw myriad stars.

My confusion is: do we need an article in front of myriad? I saw a myriad stars. The article 'the' would be odd here. So which article is right, or is an article necessary at all? For noun, it is 'a myriad of stars' but what is it for adjective?
    Your sentence is fine; no article is needed, and no article should be used. Myriad as an adjective is used the same way that you would use many. The meaning is of course different; myriad refers to vast, uncountable numbers—a perfect word to describe the stars in the sky. :)

< Previous | Next >