Myriad/ Myriads

totoro2019

Farsi
He has myriads of gold coins, and he sends up to 30000 gold coins to his friends. Somehow his gold is still myriad.
or
He has myriads of gold coins, and he sends up to 30000 gold coins to his friends. Somehow his gold is still infinite.

Can I use myriad as a plural noun? I want to say he has lots of gold coins that they are uncountable. Is it possible to use "infinite" instead of "myriad"?

• Barque

Tamil
    Is this a deliberately exaggerated sentence, or something from a fantasy story? Some background would help.

Barque

Tamil
    He has an unlimited supply of gold coins and he sends 30,000 to his friends every month. He never runs out of them.
    He sends 30,000 gold coins to his friends every month. He has an unlimited supply of them.

("Them" means coins here, but he probably has an unlimited supply of friends too.:))

totoro2019

Farsi
    He has an unlimited supply of gold coins and he sends 30,000 to his friends every month. He never runs out of them.
    He sends 30,000 gold coins to his friends every month. He has an unlimited supply of them.

("Them" means coins here, but he probably has an unlimited supply of friends too.:))
    Thank you so much!

Andygc

British English
    "He has myriads of gold coins" is perfectly acceptable in BE, and I think it's a good choice of expression in a fantasy story. He gives many away "but somehow his store of gold seems endless/never runs out". So I agree with Barque in part.

totoro2019

Farsi
    "He has myriads of gold coins" is perfectly acceptable in BE, and I think it's a good choice of expression in a fantasy story. He gives many away "but somehow his store of gold seems endless/never runs out". So I agree with Barque in part.
    Thank you! I was disappointed. But now I see my improvement! :thumbsup:

Barque

Tamil
    To clarify, I wasn't objecting to the construction "He has myriads of...", but rather to its use with gold coins. I suppose that if "He has a myriad..." and "He has myriad..." could work grammatically, this should too.

But still, for some reason, the use of "myriad" with coins sounds unnatural to me. Maybe it's just me.

< Previous | Next >