né en 1402, couronné à Poitiers

< Previous | Next >

tinanurse

USA
I can't find all of the words I need to find in a French to English dictionary. Is there anybody out there who can translate the following words for me? I have typed them to the best of my ability, the writing isn't very clear on the piece I am getting the words from. Here goes:

ne`en 1402, couronne a` Poitiera( I believe it is a P, might be a Q or an L) en 1422, sacre a` Neima(the "a" is kind of funny looking) le 17 Juillet 1429; mort a` Mehun en Berri le Juillet 1461.

A Paris, chez Blin, Imprimeur en Taille Douce, Place Maubert, #17, vis-a-vis la Rue des 3 Portes. A.P.D.R.

Thank you so much for your help.

• anangelaway

French
    Hello tinanurse and welcome to the forum ! :)

I just changed the title of this thread in order to allow further searches for the same topic according to WR rule #4. Please remember in the future to post the subject of the title of your thread.

As for your text :
    né en 1402, couronné à Poitiera Poitiers en 1422, sacré à Neima Reims le 17 Juillet 1429; mort à Mehun en Berri le X Juillet 1461.

A Paris, chez Blin, Imprimeur en Taille Douce, Place Maubert, #17, vis-a-vis la Rue des 3 Portes. A.P.D.R.
    This is what it says :
    ... born in 1402, crowned (awarded ?) at Poitiera Poitiers in 1422, sacred at Neima Reims on the 17th of July 1429, deceised at Mehun in Berri on the X of July 1461.

Edit : Bien vu Auryn.:thumbsup: Effectivement, ces villes-là ne m'inspiraient pas...

Auryn

France, French
    This is about King Charles VII of France, isn't it? :)

né en 1402: born in 1402

couronné à Poitiers en 1422: crowned in Poitiers in 1422

sacré à Reims le 17 Juillet 1429: anointed in Reims on 17 July 1429 (this would normally be part of the coronation)

mort à Mehun en Berri le Juillet 1461: died in Mehun in the Berri region on ? July 1461

A Paris, chez Blin, Imprimeur en Taille Douce, Place Maubert, #17, vis-a-vis la Rue des 3 Portes. A.P.D.R: printed in Paris by Blin (the printer). The rest is the printer's address.

tinanurse

USA
    Thank you so much!! Yes this is about Charles VII. We found what appears to be a very old picture with the words you translated on it along with some other numbers and we were wondering what it said.

ChiMike

USA, English
    The printer is undoubtedly: BÉLIN
    It is a copper-plate gravure (TAILLE DOUCE), and depending on its date, may have been engraved by hand.

I can find no printer Bélin in Paris before about 1775.
    Thereafter and through the Revolution and into the Napoleonic period
    there are several (including Bélin Le Prieur), but the earliest is, indeed, simply Bélin, and he printed, in addition to illustrated lives of the greatest French naval officers, many splendid titles, including the first French translation of Captain Cook's third voyage around the world (the one on which he died) and, before that, and in the last years of the Ancien Régime, the catalogue raisonné of the Bibliothèque du Roi, which became the original holding of the Bibliothèque Nationale.

However, I can find no work printed by Bélin at that period which would have contained a portrait of Charles VII and several publishers using the name Bélin published in Paris throughout the 19th Century and, in fact, the name survives to this day.

The location, however, Place Maubert, is correct for an early printing as until the Revolution, the master printers of Paris (there were only 36 licensed at any one time - in the 18th century each had to have at least 4 presses) all had to be related in some way to the University of Paris and all had to have their printing shops in the Quartier Latin. Many had them on or near the Place Maubert. To determine the period (before or after the Revolution), look to see whether, in addition to the other text, it says:
    Avec Privilège (du Roi). All books and gravures printed in Paris by a licensed master-printed had to have this notation.

Until the Revolution, master printers had to satisfy the authorities at the University that they could read AND write Latin and that they could read Greek.

Here is a recap of the laws and regulations applying to printers from the introduction of printing into France through the revolution of 1848:
    http://www.textesrares.com/bibchron.htm

< Previous | Next >