naître

< Previous | Next >

Rex

AUSTRALIA: English
Dear friends
I had thought I just about understod this verb, but now that I'm writing something using the imparfait, the plus-que-parfait and the passé simple I'm not so sure!Here's the relevant part of my ssentence, along with the English. Is it correct, or should naquit still be naît?
"... et vivre dans la petite ville où elle naquit, se maria, et avait demeuré pendant presque toute de sa vie."
" ... and to live in the little town where she was born, was [or had] married, and had lived for almost all her life."
Many thanks for any input.

• kylijah

French - France
    Naquit sounds correct to me but I've never been good with grammar so better wait for an expert ;)

as for the english sentence, I think it's "was married"

Rex

Hello Caroline, and thanks for the reply. However I'm still a little confused!
    My understanding of the plus-que-parfait is as the compound form of the imparfait. However the events of being born and marrying are one-off and have been completed before the other events being dealt with. Normally in such a situation (with verbs other than naître) I woould have used the passé composé, but I'm obliged to write basically this story in the passé simple ... Any further enlightenment?

carolineR

France
    It is precisely because the events of being born and marrying have been completed before the other events being dealt with (as you point out), that you need the plus que parfait.
    Now, if you want me to feel 100% sure, can you please give me the context, especially the sentence before this one and the beginning of this one :)

Rex

Hello again Caroline
    Here's the English: I've not yet finished rendering it into French, having decided to get the verbs sorted out first:
    "Once something of a rebel, she had become reconciledto a simple lifestyle, askingno more from the world than a modest income and to livepeacefully in the little town where she was born, was/had married, and had lived for most of her life.
    Thks again.

< Previous | Next >