1. koinbouffier Senior Member

Brisbane Australia
    Mandarin-Beijing (北京官话)
    How should I translate "nacre" into English?
    Are you guys gonna tell me "nacre" exists in English as well this time? :)

cheers

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    This is when you cook the rice dry in a small amount of oil until it begins to take on a white color and feel sandy when stirred with a wooden spoon. To my knowledge, we do not have a verb for this in English.

Most risotto and pilaf recipes that use this technique simply say to sauté the rice in oil until it begins to turn white.

I have never understood it, but you will also see recipes that say to sauté the rice until it starts to become translucent! It has always seemed to me that this is the exact reverse of what happens, because the rice is most translucent when raw and "wetted" with oil... and becomes progressively more white and opaque (and eventually brown) as you cook it. :rolleyes:

3. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    Could one perhaps say: "gloss the rice, using 1 Tbsp of butter, until it takes on a pearly sheen" ?

4. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I would not understand that out of the context of a recipe for which I already knew the procedure. "To gloss" does not define a culinary procedure to me, let alone one that involves applying a medium-high heat. :)

5. koinbouffier Senior Member

Brisbane Australia
    Mandarin-Beijing (北京官话)
    Thanks~~~~

BTW, the rice is sauteed with oil in the recipe. CHEERS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  6. EMS1979 Member

France
    Canadian English
  7. EMS1979 Member

France
    Canadian English