Nag/Nag at

< Previous | Next >

Sebasthos

Spanish - Argentina
Is it the same to use nag someone than nag at someone?

For example, instead of "My boss nags me all the time", can I use "My boss nags at me all the time" without meaning change?

Thanks!

• conar

English UK
    Hi. In my opinion they both mean exactly the same thing, although I'd say that "nag at" is more common, at least where I live.

Pablo Ingles

English
    Hi. In my opinion they both mean exactly the same thing, although I'd say that "nag at" is more common, at least where I live.
    interesting, I'd say the opposite. In fact I don't think I've ever heard the expression 'nags at me' To me 'nags me' is correct.

It reminds me of the expression 'get off of it' which is the grammatical equivalent of scraping ones fingers down a blackboard.

best regards P

Txiri

USA English
    I've heard both, or at least, both sound fine. Using the preposition to my ear makes it sound more colloquial, or more "nag-like", somewhat more intense.

Sebasthos

Spanish - Argentina
    Hi,
    I see there's no difference in meaning. That was my main doubt. It remains to be seen which is more informal, but you've been helpful. Thanks!

dzozef

English
    I see it's been touched on but, "nag at" to me sounds pretty informal "She was nagging at me" conjures up images of a trailer trash couple (I don't mean to offed anyone, that's just the way I perceive it).

Sebasthos

Spanish - Argentina
    It's funny that the dictionary didn't say anything about the register, but after reading the posts I believe that "nag at" is slightly more informal.

Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >