Nah, I'm a lady/men/granny/whoever killer [ironic or sarcastic?]

virginia274

Polish
Hi,
Would you call this remark sarcastic or ironic:
Looks like you are a lady killer! Nah, I'm a lady/men/granny/whoever killer.
Thanks in advance.

• Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    There seem to be two remarks, made by two different speakers -- and without context, it is impossible to evaluate the tone of either.

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    I don't consider either the first sentence or the reply to be sarcastic or ironic.
    It would depend on context, though. Suppose a man tries to pick up a woman at a bar. She is offended by what he thinks is a great pick-up line, pours her drink over his head, and storms out. I can easily imagine a sarcastic friend saying to the failed Don Juan "Wow, it looks like you are a real lady-killer!"

Biffo

English - England
    Looks like you are a lady killer! Nah, I'm a lady/men/granny/whoever killer.
    One of your options is "Looks like you are a lady killer! Nah, I'm a lady killer." That makes no sense. Did you mean "Nah, I'm not a lady-killer" ?

Please explain in more detail what you are trying to say.

virginia274

Polish
    You see? That's what I understand as sarcasm... Someone calls a guy a lady-killer and because he doesn't consider himself as a lady-killer he says Nah, I'm a granny-killer which means he can't really get any girls...

Myridon

English - US
    Since "granny-killer" is not a idiom, I might wonder if he misunderstood and thought that you asked if he was a person who murders ladies. He replies that he only kills old ladies. :confused: (Grandmothers can be ladies.)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    You see? That's what I understand as sarcasm... Someone calls a guy a lady-killer and because he doesn't consider himself as a lady-killer he says Nah, I'm a granny-killer which means he can't really get any girls...
    When/where was this said?

To me the joke would be "I'm not a lady-killer; the only women who will pay attention to me are old women (grannies)."

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Thanks for all your replies, so my sentence, which was just made by myself, is completely wrong for interpreting sarcastic and ironic in the first place.
    We don't know if a sentence is sarcastic or ironic without context.

If A says "You're a good friend" to B...

... and B is in fact a good friend, and A appreciates that, then the sentence is sincere.
    ... and B is not a good friend, and B might not realize that, then the sentence is ironic.
    ... and B is not a good friend, and B knows it, and A says this with a very in-your-face tone, then the sentence is sarcastic.

< Previous | Next >