nail the venue

< Previous | Next >

vade

Spain, Spanish
Hello!!
Can abybody helm with this phrase? " I must have nailed the venue". I think it´s an American idiom. Thanks a lot

• Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    This one needs more context before we can tell you what it means.

We could tell you what the idiomatic use of the verb 'to nail' is, but I for one can't think of what 'nail the venue' might mean without more context.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Welcome to the forum, vade. Forum guidelines state that you are required to provide context. Giving us a full sentence and additional information enables us to provide you with the best advise we can.

Most often, to "nail a venue" is used when planning or announcing an "event" (conference, concert, party, reception, recital, etc.). It means that you've chosen or contracted the location/building/facilities/place where the event will occur.

vade

Spain, Spanish
    Thank you very much indeed for your interest. I´ll give you the context of my phrase: it´s the beginning of Prof. Randy Pausch´s last lecture at Carnegie Mellon Universitiy (unfortunately, he´s seriuously ill):
    "If you had one last lecture to give before you died, what would it be?I thought, "dammn, I finally nailed the venue and they renamed it".(laughter)"
    Let´s hope this helps!! I´d really like to know what he´s saying. Thanks again

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Could it be that the "Last Lecture" (or "Last Public Lecture") series is now called by Carnegie Mellon the "Journeys" Lecture series?

Seeing as it was likely his last public lecture, it would be particularly suitable for it to have been part of a "Last Lectures" series.

vade

Spain, Spanish
    Do they really call them now the Journey lectures? I hope it´s not a black joke... Ok, I really don´t know much about those letures, and what you say makes sense to me, yes, I think you have definitvely hit the nail!! Thank you so much

Packard

USA, English
    Here is the quotation:

Randy Pausch:

It’s wonderful to be here. What Indira didn’t tell you is that this lecture series used to be called the
    Last Lecture. If you had one last lecture to give before you died, what would it be? I thought, damn,
    I finally nailed the venue and they renamed it. [laughter]

It sounds to me that he is joking that the lecture series used to be called "The last Lecture", but since it was apparently going to prove true in his case, they re-named the lecture.

Here is the entire lecture: http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/Randy/pauschlastlecturetranscript.pdf

Cheope

Italian
    To "nail a venue" means to plan and organize the event (i.e. chose the location, fix the date, etc)

Randy Pausch decided to leave the university so as to fully dedicate himself to his family and particularly to his kids when he knew to have only a couple of months left to live.
    In the USA it is common for teachers leaving the university to take a speech as a last lesson. He decided to talk about time management (which he used to teach) particularly about: importance, motivation, target, planning, priorities so as to leave a life lesson to his students, colleagues but most of all to his kids and wife.

In that particular case, the university’s staff founded the word “last” really embarrassing …that’s why they decided to rename the event when Randy accepted to take his last lesson.

< Previous | Next >