naked

810senior

Japanese
My apologies in advance for somewhat dirty stuff, but I wonder if there's an interesting expression, rather figurative or else an onomatopoeia, concerned with the naked human body such as birthday suit in English?

Let me start with the Japanese ones:
すっぽんぽん supponppon (I don't know where this came from, but I believe this word is conveying the sound of the clothes taking off)
生まれたままの姿 umareta mama no sugata (the appearance of when he/she was born; a well-known or a bit trite figurative especially referred to the feminine body)
一糸もまとわない姿 isshi mo matowanai sugata (where isshi mo matowanai is an idiom that means to not cloaked even with a single thread)

• Messquito

Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    In Chinese:
    光溜溜 (guan1 liu1 liu1) 光means empty, 溜溜 can be onomatopoeia, or indicate "smoothness" (as opposed to the "wrinkled" clothes")
    一絲不掛 (lit. with not even one silk hanging>no fabric hanging on the body)

ilocas2

Banned
    Czech
    Czech:

man
    v Adamově rouše - in Adam's robe
    na Adama - on Adam
    jak ho pánbůh stvořil - how the Lord created him

woman
    v Evině rouše - in Eva's robe
    na Evu - on Eva
    jak ji pánbůh stvořil - how the Lord created her

apmoy70

Greek
    In Greek naked is «γυμνός, -ή, -νό» [ʝimˈnos] (masc.), [ʝimˈni] (fem.), [ʝimˈno] (neut.) < Classical nominal «γυμνός, -ή, -όν» gŭmnós (masc.), gŭmnḗ (fem.), gŭmnón (neut.) --> naked, unclad, bare (PIE *nogʷ-no- naked old inherited word present in many IE languages Skt. नग्न (nagna), Lat. nūdus, Av. naɣna etc.).
    From «γυμνός» > gymnasium, gymnastics.

Some figurative expressions:
    «Με αδαμιαία περιβολή» [me aðamiˈe.a peɾivoˈli] --> with Adamic outfit

« Όπως τον/την/το γέννησε η μάννα του/της/του» [ˈopos ton ˈʝenise i ˈmana tu] (masc.) --> how his mother gave birth to him, [ˈopos tin ˈʝenise i ˈmana tis] (fem.) --> how her mother gave birth to her, [ˈopos to ˈʝenise i ˈmana tu] (neut.) --> how its mother gave birth to it.

«Τσίτσιδος, -δη, -δο» [ˈʦ͡iʦ͡iðos] (masc.), [ˈʦ͡iʦ͡iði] (fem.), [ˈʦ͡iʦ͡iðo] (neut.) --> butt naked < baby's/child's onomatopoeia deriving from the ByzGr neuter diminutive «τιτθίον» titthíon of Classical masc. «τιτθός» tĭttʰós --> mother's breast (PIE *dʰeh₁- to suck cf Proto-Germanic *titt- mother's breast, nipple > Ger. Zitze, Eng. tit, Dt. tiet; Alb. thith, to suck).

Frieder

German:

Wie Gott ihn/sie erschaffen hat (the way god created him/her)

Adamskostüm/Evakostüm (Adam's dress/Eve's dress)

Barfuß bis zum Scheitel (barefoot up to the crest)

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish:

alaston "naked", alasti.

ilkosillaan
    , (lit. "at one's ...(?)") I don't know the etymology unfortunately. The same root is used for strengthening the adj. naked -> ilki alasti "completely naked", but not any other adj.
    ilman rihman kiertämää "without being winded(?) by a thread", not sure how to translate kiertämää here, the general meaning is "to go around", but the meaning is of course the same as your "isshi mo matowanai, to not cloaked even with a single thread".
    Aatamin asussa "in Adam's suit".
    syntymäasussa "in birth suit".

Vulgar (for men): munasillaan lit. "at one's (little) balls".

aum34

Spanish & Catalan- Spain
    Spanish:

Naked:
    Desnudo (masculine)
    Desnuda (femenine)

To get naked
    Desnudarse

Expressions:

"Estar como Dios me/te/le/nos/os/les trajo al mundo" literally "To be like God brought me/you/him/her/us/you/them into the world"

"Estar en pelotas" literally "to be in balls" "Despelotarse" to get naked

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    the naked human body such as birthday suit in English
    Yes, in his/her birthday suit is a humorous way to say someone is naked--it is not "dirty" or anything you cannot say to anyone.

Other English expressions: naked as a jaybird, buck naked (AE regionalism), stark naked, starkers (BE slang), in the buff, au naturel, in the altogether (more formal register), nude, without a stitch.

igusarov

Russian
    Russian:
    "В чём мать родила". Word-for-word "in what mother gavebirth". The meaning is "as he was dressed when he was born by his mother".

Nawaq

français (France)
    French :
    Nu comme un ver (ver = worm)
    Dans le plus simple appareil.
    also, "en costume d'Adam/en costume d'Eve"

this one that I don't really know how to translate "(se mettre, être) à poil/oualpé"

Red Arrow

Dutch - Belgium
    In Dutch you can also say "een adamskostuum". Never heard of "een evakostuum", though.

nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian

naked
    = гол [gɔɫ] m., голa ['gɔɫa] f., голo ['gɔɫɔ] neut., голи ['gɔli] pl.

Figurative expression: како од мајка роден/-a/-o (kako od majka roden/-a/-o) "how (like, as) his mother gave birth to him/her/it"

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Two Italian idioms:
    "Come mamma l'ha fatto/fatta" The way mama made him/her
    "Nudo come un santo" Naked like a Saint, maybe because Saints care so little for the things of this world that they don't mind going around naked...

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Some figurative expressions:
    «Με αδαμιαία περιβολή» [me aðamiˈe.a peɾivoˈli] --> with Adamic outfit
    Με αδαμιαία περιβολή στο περιβόλι του Αδάμ :)

Dutch: in adamskostuum = in Adam's costume (dress)

Naked:"Estar en pelotas" literally "to be in balls"
    en porreta(s) en pelota picada

Last edited:

Zareza

Romanian
    în costumul lui Adam / în costumul Evei = in Adam's costume / in Eve's costume
    gol cum l-a fătat mă-sa = (colloquial) naked as his mother gave birth to him - (a făta (vb.) = parturition in animals)

gol pușcă = naked (like a) rifle
    gol (ca) nap(ul) = naked (like a) turnip
    gol ca degetul = naked like a finger
    gol brebenel = naked (like a) fumewort / nu comme un Corydale (à bulbe plein) (fr.)

Last edited:

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    Catalan:

despullat (m), despullada (f) [< despullar 'to strip, deprive of clothing' < Latin: despoliare] -- the common standard form​
    nu (m), nua (f) [< Latin: nudus -a 'nude, bare'] -- standard, somewhat more formal or written form​
    amb el vestit d'Adam 'with Adam's suit' --idiom​
    com Déu el/la va dur al món 'as God brought him/her to the world' --idiom​
    conill or en conill 'rabbit, rabbit-like' --colloquial, rather dated​
    en pèl 'on hair' --informal, rather local​
    En pilotes 'in balls', colloquial form accepted by official dictionaries, is a nonsensical calque from the Spanish en pelotas, which actually has nothing to do with balls.

nimak

Macedonian
    gol pușcă = naked (like a) rifle
    That expression is used in Macedonian too:
    гол како/ко пушка (gol kako/ko puška) = naked like a rifle
    But more often is used:
    гол како/ко пиштол (gol kako/ko pištol) = naked like a pistol; or​
    пиштол гол (pištol gol) = pistol naked

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Ah now I remember : We say Poedelnaakt= naked as a `poodle.
    I suppose that would have to be a shaven poodle....
    (Dutch)
    Also Spiernaakt = naked to the muscles

Red Arrow

Dutch - Belgium
    Ah now I remember : We say Poedelnaakt= naked as a `poodle.
    I suppose that would have to be a shaven poodle....
    It comes from the verb "poedelen" = bathing.

I guess you're supposed to poedel naked, like Germans do.

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Ah yes, the worldwide ubiquitous German nudists do that.
    Yes, poedelen, it's 'play in the water. Never heard of 'poedelen' before, I must confess....One learns things here.

Ballenero

Spaniard
    In Spanish, there is an expression that always got my attention:
    En cueros.

Cuero
    is the skin of animals after being tanned, the leather used to make jackets, bags, shoes...

Then, if you are en cueros (lit. into leather), you should be clothed, not naked.

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    DLE
    That's the first meaning of cuero.
    (I overlooked en cueros:oops:)
    In fact, there is a little joke that used to be told to children to leave them confused.
    There is a small town in Andalusia, called Ubrique, which has many factories making belts, wallets... and many other items in leather.

People, especially the elder siblings, used to make fun of children by telling them:

"¿No sabías que en Ubrique hay hombres y mujeres juntos trabajando en cueros?"

That used to leave children in shock, especially in the olden times when children used to be more naive than nowadays.
    Of course, the sentence had a double meaning, it meant that men and women worked together in the workshops.

< Previous | Next >