name for a road that was once much used and now is not used

guilaK

Persian
Hi
What do you call a road which has been frequently used some time ago, but nowadays because there are some better roads , highways,etc, people don't use them very often?

Last edited:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hi
    What do you call a road which has been frequently used some time ago, but nowadays because there are some better roads , highways,etc, people don't use them very often?
    Can people still drive on them but they choose not to? Or are you thinking of roads that are no longer usable for driving?

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I don't think we need to call it something other than a road. If it isn't used at all, or is used only very rarely, we can call it an "abandoned road." This would imply that because of lack of traffic and maintenance, it is overgrown with vegetation, or the pavement (if any) has deteriorated and started to break up. However, if the lack of use began only recently, it might look like a well-used road.

If there is still some local traffic, but most of the traffic now uses a bypass or other new road, I would call it a "seldom-used road."

I would only call such a road a "track" or "path" if the lack of use and deterioration with age was so severe that it was no longer usable by the kind of vehicles that had used it before. "The way there had once been a busy highway, but, being long abandoned, had deteriorated so that it was now hardly more than a trail. We could see where it had been, but it was a good thing we were in an ATV and not an automobile."

franc 91

English - GB
    In the UK and in Ireland there are still green roads and trackways that date back to prehistoric times - The Icknield Way, Watling Street for example, then there are ridgeways and drover's roads, sunken lanes, green lanes....

mr cat

English - England
    In the UK and in Ireland there are still green roads and trackways that date back to prehistoric times - The Icknield Way, Watling Street for example, then there are ridgeways and drover's roads, sunken lanes, green lanes....
    These are often referred to as (public) byways when they are open to traffic, albeit with 4x4 or sometimes impassable.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    You could use a poetic quotation, if a quotation is appropriate: the road less travelled by.

Or you could just call it a disused road, in addition to some of the previous suggestions.

George French

English - UK
    Hi
    It is a road that is seldom/not often/infrequently/hardly used or perhaps a very quite road.

GF..

Also "A waste of tax payers' money!" :(

Last edited:

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    In AE, the word for "disused" is "unused." A road that is not used at all would be an "unused" road. I suppose one could exaggerate a little and use it for one that is rarely or hardly ever used. But for that we also have terms like "little used" or "rarely used."

JamesM

I have also read and heard "abandoned road". I believe the state of Vermont has an entire process for returniing roads back to nature and one of the steps is to declare the road abandoned.

There are a fair number of articles using this name for them:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...gc.r_pw.&fp=5a678f6409ce1751&biw=1304&bih=607

In AE, the word for "disused" is "unused." A road that is not used at all would be an "unused" road. I suppose one could exaggerate a little and use it for one that is rarely or hardly ever used. But for that we also have terms like "little used" or "rarely used."
    I disagree. "Disused" means that it was once used. "Unused" can often mean that it was never used, as in all the items listed on Ebay with the description "in new, unused condition" (which always seemed redundant to me). I've encountered "disused" in AE much less than in BE, but it does exist and it has its own meaning.

Packard

USA, English
    I nominate "Old + name".

Where I live we have "Route 9" and "Old Route 9". Old Route 9 is the lesser used and narrower road.

I think sections of Route 66 are called "Old Route 66". I'm going to Google that and check.

Addendum: http://www.historic66.com/

As old Route 66 is not indicated on maps nowadays, any serious traveler of U.S. Highway 66 needs a detailed map and guide before hitting the road.

< Previous | Next >